In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

38/44 load

mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
38 Spl Highway Patrol ammo , can you recommend a load ?? best mond [;)]

Comments

• Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not sure, from your post, whether you are looking for a recommended load in .38 Spl for use in the S&W Highway Patrolman - Model 28 or information on older .38 Special "Highway Patrol" loads. For a factory load in the big S&W I like the Speer Gold Dot +p 135 grain load, an "N" frame Smith can digest all of these you can feed it with no strain.
    If you are asking about the older loads developed for Highway Patrol use, most of these were either full metal jacket or metal capped with 158 grain bullets. The bullet form was usually conical and was intended to penetrate automobile bodies. If you are able to find the bullets, the loads would be near or at maximum. Among these would be :
    12.1 grains of WW-296; 7.2 grains of HS-6 and 7.1 grains of N350.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too am not sure what you are asking? I think 38 Special loads are enough in 38 Specials if you want 357 performance get a 357.

I like 158 hard cast, but 148 grain hollow base wad cutters seated backwards for close in defensive work. Bullseye or W231 work fine in my 2".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys , all I know is its a buds, his father had a cooey .410 action re-barreled & ran out of ammo 20 years ago ..I done some research but come to a stone wall... regards Mond
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mond
    There is a 38-44 Target round, the main feature of which is that the bullet sits flush/below the case mouth.
    The following numbers are from my single sample of the same.
    Headstamp: W.R.A.Co 38-44
    Bullet diameter 0.437 0.347 (best I can measure)
    Case Length 1.466
    OAL 1.466
    Mouth diameter 0.381

357 Mag brass is a little short at 1.28, but it could be made to work
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hello, yes its a necked down 44 , with 38 head :)
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .38-44 S&W was an N-frame S&W chambered for .38 Spl and firing special loads that were up at .357 Mag pressure (pre-.357 mag). For strong guns only. Surprised more aren't familiar with it.
    If I could post a picture, I have a loading table from an old Handloader magazine.
    You can always do a Google search for .38-44 load data.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The most common version of a .44 necked down to .357 is the .357/.44 Bain and Davis. If that is what you really have:
    http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/reloading-manual-data/357-44 Bain & Davis.pdf

If not, sorry, that is all I can come up with.
  • Options
    cbyerlycbyerly Member Posts: 689 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It appears that most who replied do not know that there were specific ctgs made for the Heavy Duty Smith. The Rem-UMC ctgs are marked 38-44. They are loaded with FMJ bullets.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have TWO S&W revolvers One is an N/S frame modern Pistol and the other is a TOP BREAK No 3 single action revolver the top Break shoots an antique cartridge 38/44 in two loadings Gallery and Target I have a full box of each I got through LOCUST FORK and will be forever greatful for them Th S frame pistol is Pre 1947 OUTDOORS MAN later these S frame guns became N frame guns and their factory ammo was the 38/44 heavy duty but nothing like older ANTIQUE AMMO but again loaded to edit close to todays 357 SPEC The first 357 Loads were hot compared to todays because S&W found the Model 19 could not stand up to the then current loads s . I may be able to post pictures later if I can get them loaded on PHOTOBUCKET in the meantime send me a PM and I can send pictures to you of both type pistols and ammo
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .38/44 ammo for the S&W Outdoorsman was not loaded to .357 Magnum specs.; more like the current .38 Special "+P".
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 38/44 Outdoorsman was loaded with a 158 gr bullet at 1,125 fps, for 444 ft lbs muzzle energy. Well over .38 Special, under 357 mag.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys, you been a great help as per usual :) [:)] As it such unusal cal here in the uk , all efforts drew to a blank, thanks again. Mond :)
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Mond,
    Do a search on the auction side for Smith & Wesson 38-44 Outdoorsman, there are at the most a dozen revolvers listed, it will give you an idea of what we're talking about.
    As Karl and others have said, the 38-44 pre-dates the 357 magnum, they are simply a 38 special revolver built on a larger 44 frame. The ammunition was specifically marked 38-44, for use in these guns only. The basically same loading was used when the 357 was introduced with a case about a 1/10th" longer, so it wouldn't fit in standard 38 special revolvers. Can you imagine some fool putting a 38-44 round in an old I or J frame Smith, or an old top break like Karl was talking about?
    I have a 1955 vintage 38-44 Outdoorsman, 6 1/2" barrel, adjustable sights, target hammer and trigger, with the hi-gloss blue finish. In 1957 this became the S&W model 23. The non-adjustable sight variation, the 38-44 Heavy Duty became the model 22.
    I load 9.2 grains of Blue Dot behind a 160 grain cast SWC bullet with a gas check, using standard small pistol primers. This is a 357 magnum load, in a 38 special case. I mark the rim of these loads with a red marker, so I know not to use them in any other 38 special revolver.
    W.D.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    Mond,
    Do a search on the auction side for Smith & Wesson 38-44 Outdoorsman, there are at the most a dozen revolvers listed, it will give you an idea of what we're talking about.
    As Karl and others have said, the 38-44 pre-dates the 357 magnum, they are simply a 38 special revolver built on a larger 44 frame. The ammunition was specifically marked 38-44, for use in these guns only. The basically same loading was used when the 357 was introduced with a case about a 1/10th" longer, so it wouldn't fit in standard 38 special revolvers. Can you imagine some fool putting a 38-44 round in an old I or J frame Smith, or an old top break like Karl was talking about?
    I have a 1955 vintage 38-44 Outdoorsman, 6 1/2" barrel, adjustable sights, target hammer and trigger, with the hi-gloss blue finish. In 1957 this became the S&W model 23. The non-adjustable sight variation, the 38-44 Heavy Duty became the model 22.
    I load 9.2 grains of Blue Dot behind a 160 grain cast SWC bullet with a gas check, using standard small pistol primers. This is a 357 magnum load, in a 38 special case. I mark the rim of these loads with a red marker, so I know not to use them in any other 38 special revolver.
    W.D.

A great read, Thanks CapnMidnight , I shall. cheers Mond[:)]