In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.365: dia. rifle bullet

geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
I came across a box of .365" 248 gr. JSP reloading bullets made by MGS Bullet Company in Hollydale, California. (box is really old)

Only listing I find is for the 9 X 18 cartridge which is only 87 to 91 grain.

Any ideas as to "what" this fits, or did fit? Looks like the scrap box if I can't find a use or someone who needs them.

Comments

• Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Might be a variation of the .366" for which there are several bullets in production.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 for undersized .366 C&P Bill Woodin: "odd bullet is typical of those made by Modern Gun Shop in CA. An Ad in Rifleman AUG 52 calls it MGS Bullet Co, Hollydale CA
  • richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Correct bullet for 9.3x57 (60-year-old Swedish Mauser hunting rifles; a bunch hit the US market some years back), 9.3x62 (same), 9.3x64 (more powerful Euro hunting cartridge), 9.3x74R (still-current rimmed cartridge for Drillings & double rifles for really big game.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a 9.3x62 if you're doing a give-away.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Warren:

Sent you an email.

resent thru GB today.
    edited November -1
    Grant:

Didn't get it!
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you guys get it sorted on what you're doing with these bullets?
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Sand:

Yes we did. Ambrose reported that they worked well for him at the range. Glad someone could use them.

I buy out large reloading "lots" and estates, so anything I can't use I sell or give away (normally to new reloaders). I do come across some strange stuff. No real money in it, but I enjoy going through the stuff and have started many shooters into reloading. This forum has really helped me in the past, so it's nice to give back once in a while.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You the man geeguy. I think I'm over a dozen press and reloading equipment given away. Taught lots of others that just wanted to know it works but no interest in doing it themselves, sort of like working on their car.
    edited November -1
    As I indicated to Grant, the bullets appear to be a "partition" or "H-mantle" type judging from lead showing at both the nose and the base. There is also the trace of a line around the bullet where a partition would be. As such, I wasn't expecting tack driving accuracy from them but was pleasantly surprised with 2.25" 5-shot groups @ 2460 fps from my 9.3x62. That would make a great hunting load for heavy game at moderate range--the kind of thing the 9.3x62 cartridge was designed for.

It was a very generous gift from Grant: I was actually joking when I mentioned the give-away and very pleased when he took me seriously.

BTW: Having started reloading in 1958 with Herters equipment, I am not exactly a "new" reloader. I have since given away the Herters stuff and have mostly RCBS. There are now over 100 die sets on my shelves including some that are pretty strange!