In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shot question

DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'm still unsure of this one. When we load shot, whatever the amount, 7/8 oz, 1 oz, and all the others, is this a volume measurement or a weight measurement, or both? I think it's a volume measurement, but ounces is a unit of measure for weight and volume, unlike say feet, which is length only. I know bullets measure in grains which is weight, so that is why I am confused. Especially when I have my adjustable Lee shot dipper.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Density is mass per volume. The size of shot matters in the calibration. Technically the volume for a shot charge is specific for each size. In practical use the volume occupied by 7.5's or 2's is close enough. If you fill in the voids of 9 00 with 8's you will have way more the 1.125 oz. the measure says.
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fill the shot cup to get a good crimp,then weigh the load. Magnum shot weighs less than chilled shot so in an oz and one eighth cup it weighs about an oz with # 7 shot,which is only a few pellets.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In machines using "shot bushings", the only accurate measure will be
    a load of number nine shot. (all others will be on the light side)
    As an example, one oz. bushing will discharge a one oz. load of #9 shot but not 6's or 4's. (they will be less)
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some bushing's for my DL Pacific press that are marked for both weight and shot size.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Size and weight ?

Ah ! So we have progressed ?
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by XXCross

In machines using "shot bushings", the only accurate measure will be
    a load of number nine shot. (all others will be on the light side)
    As an example, one oz. bushing will discharge a one oz. load of #9 shot but not 6's or 4's. (they will be less)

As I understand it MEC labels bars calibrated for #9 shot as "skeet" bars and that their bars for larger shot probably have a slightly larger volume.

There has always been some contention that, a volumetric measure of powder despite any minor weight discrepancy results in a similar velocity variation as a weighed charge.
    I just started loading some steel shot and have not bothered to go to the "steel" bars. I have taken existing lead bars and tested them for their steel capacity and marked them appropriately.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is a big deal, if loading a 410, where every extra pellet is needed. quote:Magnum shot weighs less than chilled shot More pellets per 1/2 oz if using mag shot.
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]