In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

new powder scale ??

idaho cowboyidaho cowboy Member Posts: 253 ✭✭✭
I have been reloading for a good many years and have used what is now an old RCBS scale. I have noticed that it is not quite as consistent as it was when it was newer. I have cleaned it and that did not seem to help much. There has been a bazillion rounds loaded with this scale and I am thinking it is just getting a little worn in the pivot points. Anyway I have decided to replace it. So, who makes the most accurate scales now days? How about these digital scales that I see? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you know that you can ship your RCBS scale to them and they will fix it FREE? (Lifetime Warranty even if it was a used one, no receipt necessary) Send them a email about such.
    Also make sure that their are no breeze or fan running in the room (even a fan running on the other side of the room) when using a beam powder scale or it will be erratic. Also styrafoam close by will make them erratic sometimes.

I use a digital and a beam. I do not trust the digital so I check readings with a beam every once in awhile and use anti-static dryer sheets on both to reduce erratic readings due to possible static buildup. I like digital scales, I just can't seem to trust them from day to day. I constantly do a calibration check quite often when measuring powder too make sure they are consistent. I've seen the digital types not be reading consistent and have to start over during a reloading process when I desired very accurate powder measurements, therefore I keep a constant heads up when using them.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use both beam and digital. But the main thing is to always use check weights. If you check your scales before you start reloading every time you're not likely to make a mistake. If you put 22 grains of check weights in the pan and your scales show 22 grain then you know they're right and you don't have to wonder if they're accurate or not. I personally couldn't imagine not knowing if I had the correct amount of power in my ammo or not.

Check Weights
    612694_zps8oyyeumz.jpg
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Smitty said it all [;)]
    Get a set of check weights and don't look back [^]
    I did [:D]
  • DresserDanDresserDan Member Posts: 78 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to remember reading about how much coins weigh, but don't remember . Would they be accurate?
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    check weights would be good. But what about just weighing something (like 2 quarters) on both scales and see if they agree?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by casper1947
    check weights would be good. But what about just weighing something (like 2 quarters) on both scales and see if they agree?

By using check weights you check to make sure you set your scales to the correct amount. Your beam scales can be perfectly accurate but you can still make a mistake by setting them to the incorrect weight. If you set them to the correct amount and then put that amount of check weight in the pan and the scales match up then you know you've got the correct amount going into your casings.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To be up front I have never used a beam scale, only digital.
    I currently use a chargemaster.
    My thought would be to check for variance between the two scales weighing several things. The chance of both being off the same seams remote.
    Just a thought.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you don't want to use check weights I would use a match grade bullet rather than a coin. The manufacturers are very careful about the weights of their premium bullets, the mint doesn't have to worry about that because there are no longer any precious metals in the coins and they are subject to a degree of wear in daily use.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those premium .22 jacketed bullets are freaky consistent on weight.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    If you don't want to use check weights I would use a match grade bullet rather than a coin. The manufacturers are very careful about the weights of their premium bullets, the mint doesn't have to worry about that because there are no longer any precious metals in the coins and they are subject to a degree of wear in daily use.

I also use bullets to check scales. Match grade bullet weight are right on.
    edited November -1
    You can use automatic transmission fluid for brake fluid to if you want to save a little more money...for a while that is.

Never understood people that will spend thousands of dollars for reloading equipment, guns, and hunting gear etc. but they won't spend $25 bucks for a set of check weights that might just save their life.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I was wondering if anyone had replaced their old workhorse digital scale recently ; after about 15 years, my old PACT scale has become completely unreliable. After sending it to PACT back in July, and being told that since they don't make that scale anymore, and the Limited Lifetime Warranty was no good anymore, & to send $20 for fixing it; they've given up & are sending it back just as broken as when I sent it to them.
    I looked at several name-brand 750gr. digitals & they all seem cheap'n'flimsy. Oh, & most are battery power only, which leaves me cold, thinking about the 20 second auto-shutoff & all those batteries over a years' worth of use.
    Anyone have a recommendation for an accurate, dual powered digital scale? BTW-if you're just quoting internet ads because you have no experience with the scale; nevermind.
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I bought a pact 20 + years ago Knock on wood never a problem I have a set of test weights I check 5 Grains weight My most used range I lood thousands of rounds of Match 45ACP loads year with star loader adjustable as well as fixed powder bars only have to modify my charge when I run outof one of my 8 pound jugs of BULLS-EYE that is different LOT number or primer lot number I purchase them 10,000 at a time same lot number . I also purchased a AAA battery powdered one on EBAY 20 years ago I think was made for drug dealers and use it as double check backup . Pistol powder is IMsamere critical one grain of bulls-EYE can go from full house to KABOOM but 4831 very little pressure difference.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they almost never wear out, recalibrate it and keep reloading.....
    just because you could doesn't mean you should