In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Reloading press

Evad55Evad55 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
I have know knowledge of reloading and would like suggestions on Types and brands that are of good design and convenient to use. It will be used for 9mm for the most part.

Comments

• Evad55Evad55 Member Posts: 27 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does anyone use or have used an RDP reloader? I just got one and need any information that is out there. Thanks

My opposite number over in the reloading forum has requested I send reloading threads his way.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might find more replies here on the reloading board.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9

Since you already have it here:
    Being new to reloading I would suggest you start with a single stage set-up. Less risk of errors that may prove catastrophic.
    Lee offers quality entry level kits.
    http://leeprecision.com/reloading-kits/single-stage-reloading-kits/

There are also RCBS
    http://rcbs.com/Products/Presses-and-Kits/Single-Stage.aspx
    and Lyman
    http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/presses-and-kits/LyC_RPK_Expert_Crusher.php

There is also the used market.
    This press for example, and add from there.
    http://www.GunBroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=507575447

quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    I learned tons from watching someone else reload before I purchased my presses. Any questions were answered right then and there plus the visual input was invaluable.

Sound advise there. A lot can be learned from a competent mentor. Would also recommend buying as many Current loading manuals as your budget will allow. At the very least those published by the powder manufacturers.
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dillon makes a variety of machines for different reloading demands.

The quality of their machines is tops IMO and they have an outstanding warranty. If it breaks, they will fix it. They have very experienced guys on the phone who can help you identify and fix a problem.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evad55,

Dillon has built their reputation on quality and service so there will be no going wrong by choosing one of their presses especially for handgun ammunition. I would look at the simple presses first since you're just getting started. Most of us hold onto older presses and just get a new one or a more advanced, complex multi-stage press as our needs progress.

You will get pretty tired of loading on a single stage press for handgun ammunition so keep in mind that you might want to move up to a multi-stage press for greater volume of production.

Best.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given some very sound advice.

RCBS, has for decades, seemed to be the standard which all others are judged for single stage presses. They have some smaller economy "O" frame presses, then there is the RochChucker, which lets one load for even the largest rifle cartridges.

It is my personal experience, that it is often better to start out with the single stage press, for a better overall experience, and not to get turned off, to an otherwise, very fulfilling hobby. In other words, with a single stage, you can make a mistake, and easily go back and correct it. With a progressive/multi stage, if something is wrong in one stage it most frequently progresses to the next stage, and many corrections are then needed.

If you choose to go with a multi stage, then Dillon is the one to go with, and there is nothing like the modularity of the Dillon 650 XL.

Enjoy your new hobby, and if you have any questions, do not be afraid to pop back in here and ring our bell. Its what we doo...we love to help!

Regards
  • jethro75jethro75 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have always liked the rockchucker, cant go wrong.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got any buddies that you can try out their stuff to see what you like? Good used stuff is around often at good prices. I think I'm down to 6 or 8 presses. I don't like aluminum ones, or turrets for that matter.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I've had a Dillon SQ-Deal-B for 9mm for about 20yrs or so.
    Once they are set up they are very easy to use. Liked it so much' I got one more for 45acp [;)]
    Just tell Dillon what bullet you use and it comes set up for it [^]
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I learned tons from watching someone else reload before I purchased my presses. Any questions were answered right then and there plus the visual input was invaluable.
  • slumlord44slumlord44 Member Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lee is good equipment for the price. Not the Cadillac but more like a Chevy.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd recommend you start with the Dillon 550 progressive. It'll do 99.9% of what you will ever need it to, it's not super complicated, and I think you'll get more enjoyment out of turning out a bunch of good, shootable rounds pretty quick rather than plugging along with a single stage.
    Do pay attention to what you're doing! Feel every primer get pushed into place. Watch every case as it goes through the powder funnel to make sure it is charged. Check your charge weight every 50 rounds or so (I got in the habit of doing this even though in the last 7 years running my 550 I've never had to make an adjustment after initial setting of the charge weight).
    Have fun!
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    That's ten, so I'll kick this over to the reloading forum. The boys over there are always looking for business.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of what I have is RCBS, but I started with a Lee press.

The only piece of my reloading equipment that ever had a breakage has been that first Lee press. It feels very sloppy compared to my RCBS Jr press.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Everyone has their favorite, and they all get the job done.

Most people who bad mouth Lee had their only experience with one years ago. They are now stout, cast iron presses, and in MY own experience, their customer service has been absolutely top notch. Their dies are great too.

But whatever press you may go with, I strongly recommend three things.
    1. Get a single stage.
    2. Read several reloading manuals. Once you have an idea of what's going on...
    3. Get someone who knows how to do it show you the process.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

Most people who bad mouth Lee had their only experience with one years ago. They are now stout, cast iron presses, and in MY own experience, their customer service has been absolutely top notch. Their dies are great too.

1. Get a single stage.

Yeah....it is an aluminum press, but the part that broke was the pot metal linkage.....twice. Lee would not replace it, but they would sell me a new improved version of the linkage.....for the same as I paid for the whole press new. I made my own "improved" linkage and never looked back.
  • jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by guntech59
    quote:Originally posted by jonk

1. Get a single stage.

Yeah....it is an aluminum press, but the part that broke was the pot metal linkage.....twice. Lee would not replace it, but they would sell me a new improved version of the linkage.....for the same as I paid for the whole press new. I made my own "improved" linkage and never looked back.
    I had that part break on mine once or twice.

My thought at the time was, "I could buy a lifetime of replacement linkages for less than what I would pay for one RCBS."

Now, I did get an RCBS Rockchucker used and love it. That said, when I was looking to get a third press, I got the lee classic cast... believe me when I say that they fixed the linkage issue and the new press makes the RCBS unit look rather... lacking. Spent primer disposal, ambidextrous, longer handle for better leverage, and higher clearance for long cartridges still at half the price of the RCBS makes the latter really look like a rip off.

Plus RCBS is NOW made in China. Lee is still made in the US.

Not saying I would say one is a better press for most circumstances, just that one is the better value and more versatile.

Stay away from Lee's progressive stuff though... it works if you baby it but otherwise it really IS junk.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the biggest dangers in reloading is in not loading a powder charge or double charging a case.
    Have only the powder can in current use on the bench.
    If the powder measure has a shutoff feature, eg Lee disk, make sure it's on when you begin charging cases.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    I couldn't agree more with TSR1965.
    A single stage press for a year or 2
    and after you learn the nuances of
    reloading ,then if desired go to
    a progressive. I've been reloading
    for 35 yrs on single stage presses.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like my lyman turret press and I believe it is all preference.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like single stage presses, they're painfully slow.

A turret press is better and is nothing more than a single stage press with all the dies mounted on one plate. Instead of having to change out and adjust the dies for every step the turret is simply rotated instead and is much easier and faster. And with purchasing additional turret plates you can leave the dies on the plate where they remain adjusted and ready to go the next time you start to reload that caliber.

A progressive press can be used as a single stage until you get used to reloading. Just put one casing in at a time and watch it go through all the stages until complete, then put in another casing and do it again until you're ready to load it up and go.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Progressive presses lead to squib loads
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm still using my Pacific that I started with in"69".
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    depends on what kind of progressive press you Have .I have loaded over 350,000 rounds of match grade 45ACP target loads never had a squib load The Star has the best powder measure Bar None . Yes they are no longer Produced but are for sale from people that retire . With that said I would not trade one Star for ten Dillon' but Dillon does have great customer service. you need a mentor to help you set up a star but they last forever
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    Progressive presses lead to squib loads

Ignorance leads to squib loads not progressive presses.
  • casper1947casper1947 Member Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the Lee pro-1000 and a Lee turret (3 stage), most of the reloading is on the turret. You can take 1 round to completion without changing dies. When I use the 1000 I do not use the powder disks. a funnel and a charge master are a LOT more consistent.
  • deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a RCBS Ammomaster,a Rock Chucker and a Dillon 550.They cover all the bases,just my .02