In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hodgdon Leverevolution Powder

AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
Anybody tried it. It's a range day today (I'm on lunch break), an iron sight day. A couple of the rifles are .30/30 and an early Marlin 336 .32 Special. The old .32 Special doesn't get much respect so there isn't much in the way of load data for it. I have to modify .30/30 data to fit. So far, things look good; the powder gives a bit more velocity than the other powders I've been using and groups as good as the rifles have done in the past.

The rifles are a bit unusual in that the marlin has a 24" not 20" barrel and the .30/30 (barrel stamped .30 W.C.F.) is a Winchester 54. No, not 64: 54! The pre-model 70 bolt gun.

Lunch is over--time to get back out there!

Comments

• sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ambrose,

That's a nice find with the 30-30 in the Model 54.

I bought one pound to dink around with and it works excellent. I didn't load a .30-30 though. Just some of my odd cartridges.

Leverevolution and Superformance seem to function in the same way. Except Superformance is a lot slower. Great strides in powder capability. I just wish there was more information for more cartridges on them.[;)]
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to try this powder next in another "orphan", a Savage Super Sporter model 45. I doubt if many here remember them: They were made before the war and were not very popular. The model 40 was the standard, plain model and the 45 had a checkered stock and a receiver sight. This one is a .30-30 (they were also made in .250-3000, .300 Savage, and .30/06) and was apparently some ones hunting rifle before I got it since it has one of those small Marbles compasses inletted into the comb of the stock.