In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AR-15 powder question

PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
What is everyone using for powder. I have been loading 21.4 gr of IMR3031 behind a 55gr BT-FMJ. This load is just for playing not for accuracy, although it shoots very well. I am out of powder right now and was thinking of trying something else. According to my manual IMR 4198, I could get the same velocity with only a little over 18gr, anybody use this powder? or any other suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of volume shooters use ball powders for the .223. I always liked the results with medium loads of IMR4895.

Try several powders to see what you like best. Some of the surplus powders are not too bad. Powder Valley Inc. is a great place to order from.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    I like AA-2230 or BLC-2 for my AR'S. They are both ball powders and meter very good.
  • Options
    CryptoChiefCryptoChief Member Posts: 100 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use BLC(2) exclusively. It cycles well in my AR and I get decent velocities from the heavier bullets (75-77 etc). Not to say there are not other good powders, I use this powder because it works for me.

Vic
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    I use BL-C(2) or or 748 but 748 is a little dirty. In short barrels 2015 works good.
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    Here is a good read on .223 powders:

Powders
    The .223 Remington is a reloader's dream. Not finicky, it shoots well with a wide variety of powders, both extruded (stick) and granular (ball). Ask a dozen .223 shooters and you'll probably get a dozen different powder recommendations. For the lighter bullets, H335 ball powder is a proven performer, and N133 shows outstanding accuracy. For 55gr to 60gr bullets, Benchmark, TAC, H4895, and AA2015 are excellent choices. For the 69gr and 77gr SMK, Sierra recommends VV N540 and N140 respectively. Finally, for the heaviest bullets, in the 80-90gr range, good choices include Reloader 15, VV N140, N550, and Varget. But there are many other good combinations. If you need a single, do-it-all powder for your .223 Rem loads, H4895, AA 2015, and TAC are all versatile and cost-effective. If you're loading with a progressive press, you'll find that ball powders such as H335, BLC-2, and TAC meter best.

35-50gr: H335, N133, RL10X
    50-60gr: AA 2015, Benchmark, H335, H4895, TAC
    60-70gr: AA 2520, N540, Varget
    70-80gr: Varget, Reloader 15, N140, N550

For the entire article on reloading the .223:
    http://www.6mmbr.com/223Rem.html
  • Options
    PSFD DONKEYPSFD DONKEY Member Posts: 771 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info, I like the idea of ball powder. I have on a couple of occasions had the powder bridge in the case mouth and spill all over the place. Think I will try the BLC2. Thanks again for your replys.
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used Varget, Benchmark, IMR 4895, H4895, BL-C(2), H380, and AA 2230. All with great success.
  • Options
    WulfmannWulfmann Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used 748, H335 4895, IMR, Hogd and milsurp, BL-C-2 Acc 2230, 2460 blah blah.
    All were fine.
    However, I tried RamShot TAC, a ball powder from Western Powder who makes most of the factory ammo powder and like it very much.
    I have stocked up because not only is it very good in 223 it is good in 308 and 8MM Mauser my other two main rifle calibers.
    It uses less per 223 load and cost a little less so the dollar stretches further in this. No compromise o loads here just more rounds per buck. I will stick with TAC for 223 from this point on.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    "Fools learn from their own mistakes. I learn from the mistakes of others"
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I use surplus WCC 844. Has worked good for me so far. Price is right compared to new. My gun shoots under 1 MOA with it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have had nothing but good results from all the milsurp powder I have purchased from Widener's and High tech.
    But, when one looks at Jeff Barlett's page and considers he is charging about what fresh RamShot TAC sells for, well, I had to go with new and fresh.
    Foe $20.00 less per 8LB I would go Milsurp but about the same price why?

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    OdawgpOdawgp Member Posts: 5,380 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was asking another local shooter who buys alot of milsurplus powder,bullets brass ect...

He said the guy he buys from heard that Raytheon has the new scrap ammo contract and it was specifically rewritten to prevent sales of powder, brass and bullets for reloading. It is now all to be palleted and incinerated or melted down and recycled
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That came about under Bill Clinton.

That shows you how much there was as it has taken 14 years to sell off what could be sold as reloading supplies.

Even the bullets must be melted down, no more milsurp anything from the US military.

But, the cost of commodities has caused a non legislated effect on other countries.
    China bought up all the Yugo 8MM Mauser ammo in one big deal (gun week reported) because what they paid was cheaper than buying the brass, lead and copper on the commodity market.
    That is what has happened to most milsurp brass cased ammo all calibers but the panic buying that followed on steel case wiped most of that out.

What just happened was the very end of the good old days we will tell people in 20 years and they will not believe it was ever that cheap.
    Get use to high priced ammo forever.

Wulfmann
    3YUCmbB.jpg
    Otto von Bismarck
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
    just loaded up 1000 rounds

aa2230 with 24.6gr, H335 with 24.1gr, h-varget with 26gr .
    the 2230 was the worst group @ 100 yd.
    the H335 GOT DOWN to dime size.
    and nickle size with a 70gr bullet
  • Options
    308plinkerVT308plinkerVT Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    my suggestion for you is thus : blc-2 and 748 are great for metering, blc-2 slightly cleaner than w748 I have noticed - if shooting more volume, both are easier to work with. IF you are in an area when shooting that gets lots of sun IF you are playing in the upper end of the charge weight spectrum of either blc-2 or 748 keep your ammo cool/out of direct sun; have heard/read that they can take on a little different personality when warmed up like that.
    Otherwise best all around suggestion is Varget if you are shooting less qty. much harder to meter. BUT more often than not less variation on paper and thru the chrony. I still use all three working up loads, see what each likes, Varget usually wins. blah - I've rambled enough. happy plinking!
  • Options
    craig 25-06craig 25-06 Member Posts: 123 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try Tac, you`ll never go back. The great Rocky Raab turned us on to Tac and as usual he was right on. Best
  • Options
    armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,483 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    H335, BLC-2 or Winchester 748 can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your original post asked about IMR4198. That powder was the go-to powder for the .222 Remington and I've used quite a bit of it in that cartridge in my rifles. As you noted, it does require a bit less to get the same velocity as most other powders. There is no reason it shouldn't work well in the .223 (I'm sure I've used it in the .223 but I'd have to dig through my notes to find the results). The disadvantage is it's a long grained stick powder and, as such, does not meter as well as ball powders. The Hodgdon version, H4198, has shorter grains and meters better. H4198 is a bit slower than IMR4198, that is, a bit less velocity with equal powder charges.

I've noted that most people volume reload for the .223 so, as has been said, ball powders work better for that application. I generally load only a box of 20 or 50 cartridges at a time so I can concentrate on what works best for me velocity/accuracy wise. I have not experimented extensively with TAC in the .223 (it's a great powder in the .308) so this post has got me interested in putting up some loads with that powder.
  • Options
    NavybatNavybat Member Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for H335. Love it for both 55 grain and 62 grain SS109s. Clean burning and meters really well. Also, it's available and not expensive right now...bonus!
  • Options
    goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    My AR's love H335 with 55gr bullets. With 75gr...nothing has beat Varget for me.