In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

MEC single stage with 1/2g shot bar

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
I have a new MEC single stage reloader for 410 gauge with a 1/2 grain shot bar. With 7 1/2 oz. shot it drops on average 200 grains of shot, should be about 218 grains. With the new Win. AA hulls and just 200 grains I do not get a good crimp. But up the shot to 218 grains and the crimp is near perfect. Are they any way to correct the shot drop? Thanks

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only thing you can change is adjust the crimp, or you do not have the proper wad. By the way it is dropping 1/2 oz of shot. Most likely you need to adjust the crimp. I fiddled around with mine when I first got it, adding shot to get a good crimp, but adjusting the crimp solved it. Same thing with my MEC grabber 410. Loading the 410 shell is a little more tedious than larger gauges. Same with 28 ga.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ream the bar/bushing out to the correct size. It is easier to take more material out than to put it back. Try really hard to keep the sides straight.
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Mec makes 2 different 1/2 oz charge bars. It's possible you may have the "skeet" (smaller volume) bar which is regulated for #9 shot, which packs tighter than the 7 1/2s. The thing is, with a volumetric measure like a shot bar it is unlikely you will ever get an exact weight across the various shot sizes. The larger the shot size, the more spaces between shot and the less weight. You can ream out the bar as mentioned or look at a load that uses a bulkier powder to take up more space using the existing shot payload.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a bag of 8 1/2 shot that I will try , I just can't seem to get the crimp adjusted right without getting real close to 1/2 oz. of shot. I may have the skeet bar, is it marked skeet?
  • grizzclawgrizzclaw Member Posts: 1,159 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alot of people don't like the universal charge bars, but I've been using them for years. I adjust for nice crimps. Just check to see what they are throwing every so often.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "It's possible you may have the "skeet" (smaller volume) bar which is regulated for #9 shot, which packs tighter than the 7 1/2s. The thing is, with a volumetric measure like a shot bar it is unlikely you will ever get an exact weight across the various shot sizes."

This is true for ALL volume type charge bars. I found my 1 1/8 ounce bar was dropping just a hair over 1 ounce of #5 and my 1.5 ounce bar was closer to 1 3/8 ounce when loading #4 shot.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When shooting skeets I need all the shot I can get to have a better change of hitting the bird. 8-10% more shot is a lot. That's about 20 more shot in my 410 gauge plus the crimp is almost perfect when very close to 1/2 oz. of shot. Thanks for all the help to a new shooter, Frist time shooting my 410 I hit 50%.
  • 20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF you are shooting skeet with a 410 ga you should be using #9 shot.It needs all the help it can get as the 1/2 oz load contains few enough pellets as it is. Sporting clays seems to work well with #8 8 1/2 or 9 shot as determined by the range of the shot. I hate the rabbit shots with a 410 as i like 7 1/2 on them to break the heavier thicker target. Personally i have no use for shot size over 7 1/2 in the short shells or #6 in a with a full 3/4 oz load. Most guns don't pattern anything over these sizes well anyway and the pellet count gets so small as to be very detrimental To actual killing power of the shell anyway. Bye the way, The 410 needs the best high antimony shot that you can find to work well and pattern well.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ream the bar/bushing out to adjust the weight. Magnum shot is lighter in weight than chilled shot when loading by volume (bushing).
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • coop359coop359 Member Posts: 84 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you could take and have .005 cut out or could maybe change first crimp stage down some that might do it if that hasn't been tried
  • bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like mentioned above shot will not weigh on a scale what amount you drop by volume, and some shot has more antimony mixed in than other brands.

Example. 1oz of shot is 437.5grs on the scale, but my Mec 1oz(volume) bar will drop #6 shot @425grs on the scale using Eagle brand shot.

Another thing, shot size determines the scale weight of a load also. If you use a 1oz shot bar to load with, #9 shot will drop a denser load by volume and heavier load on the scale because it fills up the cylindrical shape of the shot cavity in your charge bar better than say #6 shot.

To address your crimp problem you can lower or raise the wad pressure to help fill or pack the hull cavity to get your shell to crimp better. If you take a 12ga loader for example. The metal tube pressing your wad into your shell will need adjusted down for heavier loads and up for lighter loads. This is because the wads are shorter for big loads so you will have room to get the powder, wad, & shot all inside before crimping. (5th line from top is 1-1/8oz)