In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shotgun powder 800x

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Is 800x powder very clean burning? I am reloading for a 20 gauge and 410 gauge, I use 296 in the 410. Thanks

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    What about clays international for the 20 gauge with 7/8 oz. shot?
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    800X is fairly bulky and is known not to meter too well. Personally on 20 ga i would rather use Int or Univ Clays or Unique long before using 800X especially on 7/8 oz skeet, sporting, or hunting reloads. Even Win Super field if you can find it would work well and all of them meter better thru a powder measure than 800X.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do not have any trouble with measuring but did had to go down one powder charge from what mec chart shows for 800x. (21 to 21)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Would like to use International but have not found a receipe for it and 7/8 shot, what could be used?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What hull are you planning to use? It will sure make a difference in what you can use or do. I use Int Clays with 20ga AA compression formed and Rem RXP compression formed hulls and a little goes a long ways in them. You run out of pressure at about 1200fps, but in my estimation that's all you need anyway.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    If you go to hodgdon.com in their reloading center(shotgun) and put in your shell info-ga-7/8 oz lead shot-and their powder you will find their recommendations. Looks like for Win AA comp and H/S and Rem RXP comp is 13 gr of Int Clays with win 209 and Rem RXP20 wad. For the same hulls plus Fed plastic target hull with Univ Clays it's 15 gr and the wad and primer selections also go up. My suggestion is that you get on your computer and look at this and you can even print it out for yourself if you have a printer. I personally have used these loads and they do work well if you do your part. Again high antimony magnum shot is recommended for skeet.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am using win. aa type hulls with waa20 wad (only 20 gauge wad I have), I have 7 1/2 and 8 1/2 shot only.
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can recommend using Longshot. It was pretty much designed for 28ga, but can be used for everything from 28ga target to 12ga magnum target loads.

I use 800x in my 12ga 1-1/4oz Annie loads and it leaves a lot of residue in the barrel, which doesn't bother me any.

With the hull, wad you listed & a Win209 you can use 16.5gr 1200fps 9800psi through to 18.4gr,1300fps 11,700psi
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey peddler, send me an email to bratterree@cox.net so that we can have a chat if you would please. Either that or email me your phone # as i may be able to help you out. i would call you.