In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester aa hulls

peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
Are Win. Super x hulls the same as Win. AA hulls? I have not cut either apart but both have the HS stamp on the brass and both are smooth sided.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think they are both compression formed. You will want wads for the HS cases, regular AA wads will not work based on my 20 gauge experience.

If you want good answer you should specify the gauge.

added. cool, sorry to hear they went to 2 piece construction.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The new style AA hulls are not one piece. They have an insert in the base much like any of the other current two piece cases. Some people I shoot with say they have had problems with the "base wad" coming loose or even coming out. I haven't had that experience. I do use them (12ga) with AA red wads.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just wanted to know if the Win. Super X hulls are the same as the Win. AA hulls. I reload for a 410 if that makes any difference. Thanks for the info anyway.
  • Options
    20gabob20gabob Member Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they both say H S on the base they are the new style built up 2 piece Winchester hulls. By what you asked they are the same but will only reload with the Win 410 H S Winchester wads. I have tried reloading with the older components and it does not work. They tend to crush right above the steel head. Winchester really messed up when they quit the compression formed cases and went to these, but they are probably a fraction of a cent cheaper to make and the bean counters decided they could make more money and charge more with a name like High Strength. It really don't affect me as i will be reloading compression formed cases until i die in all gauges.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 20gabob
    If they both say H S on the base they are the new style built up 2 piece Winchester hulls. By what you asked they are the same but will only reload with the Win 410 H S Winchester wads. I have tried reloading with the older components and it does not work. They tend to crush right above the steel head. Winchester really messed up when they quit the compression formed cases and went to these, but they are probably a fraction of a cent cheaper to make and the bean counters decided they could make more money and charge more with a name like High Strength. It really don't affect me as i will be reloading compression formed cases until i die in all gauges.

That's why I quite Win and went to Remington STS, Nitro, & Gun Club hulls. I don't have any trouble crushing the hulls and they crimp just like brand new shells. I use the different colors of previously mentioned to keep my loads separate. I load my 1-1/4oz Annie loads in STS, my hot LongShot 40yd loads in the Nitro, & my concrete shells in the Gun Clubs.

Isn't Win Super X a steel rim like the Gun Clubs?
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a few Win super X hulls I reload in 410. I load them the same as I load the AA HS & old AA's. See no differance in performance. By the way, I also load Rem STS in 410 & the Win hulls outlast the Rem hulls by a large margine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for that info on Win aa, I also have some cheaper Win hulls, I thank they are called unibody, but I thank they take a different wad?
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by longspur rider
    I have a few Win super X hulls I reload in 410. I load them the same as I load the AA HS & old AA's. See no differance in performance. By the way, I also load Rem STS in 410 & the Win hulls outlast the Rem hulls by a large margine.

I agree with you on longevity, but for me, if I crush the hull, or wrinkle the side first time loading doesn't do me much good. That's where the Remington hulls shine.

I buy my hulls on GB 1000 at a time for around $50 so if I only get 10 reloads out of them I am happy.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've noticed the same on 12ga AA's. Never had a problem on 410's.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too tried to load the "new" AA hulls...and with all the same
    faults that have been mentioned....so,...I cut them off just below the fold for the crimp and load them with a AA-red wad and use a roll crimp. Perfect !