In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

300 blackout reload. Need help

hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
I'm getting back into reloading. First time reloading for a semi-auto. I have a crap load of 168gr in various bullet types and wanted to liad some plinking rounds for my 300 blackout sbr. I'm running 168gr fmj with 14gr of little gun powder. It states my col should be 2.26 but the cannelure on the bullet is still aways from the case neck. Does it matter when crimping. Never crimped reloads before becouse they were for bolt guns. Tried looking, some say seat to cannelure then crimp. Some say crimp were ever col is. If I run bullet to cannelure col is 2.1.

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think a crimp is necessary in this case but if the bullets don't fit tight in the case or they bash into the barrel when feeding then a crimp may be necessary. A taper crimp die would be a good choice.

CH made a tool to roll in cannelure where ever you wanted them.

A short OAL can produce higher pressures and poor accuracy due to the bullet jump to get to the rifling.

I don't think I'd pay $180 for the tool until I was sure I needed one to get the rifle to shoot.
    http://www.corbins.com/hct-1.htm
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,775 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is 14 gr of LilGun the start load(I haven'[t loaded any of this powder)? If not, I'd drop back to the start load and seat the bullet to the cannelure and do a LIGHT crimp. Try 5 and see how it goes.
    Much better to start over and get a little crimp than to be running a hotter load and have a bullet pushed back--THAT will be not at all good.
    I've run 110gr V-Max to 208 gr A-Max w/o crimping but those loads are heavily compressed so not much chance of bullet set back(in that case, the crimp would be more to prevent the bullet migrating OUT of the case).
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    Starting load is 13.8 with 14.8 max
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ignore the cannelure, load to fit the magazine. The bullet is dang near as long as the case. [:D] Try some RE 7 and 1680 if you have it.
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    I have 1680. I should look up load data for that.