In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Just playing with different primers ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
... now that I finally decided on which powder to use on my .300 WSM and Berger 215. My goal was to reach 2800 FPS out of a 24" barrel. I exceeded it but with pressures I can do without.

Anyways, I was not going for any accuracy for this session but I decided to load with 60g RL-17, WW once fired brass, 215 Berger, COAL is 2.975", CBTO is 2.206", with different primers and the result is as follows:

1%20of%206_zps1pnobipu.jpg
(targets are 100 yards)

PRIMERS_zpstij017tm.jpg

Just sharing "as-is" for what it is worth.

I will be developing accuracy load with the 215M and 9 1/2M next and see where it goes from here.

Cheers!

Ed

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very interesting.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is very interesting. Thanks for posting the picture of the target.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I was actually surprise of the results. The CCI250 has been my go to primer for awhile now and 215M in a very close 2nd. In fact, at 61g the CCI250 is similar to the 215M and 9 1/2M results above. In the past, the 9 1/2M has always been my last choice out of my primer list (in order of preference CCI250, 215M, WLRM, and 9 1/2M) but just for kicks I purchased another brick.[}:)]

I did a similar test in .270 Win quite some time ago but with BR2, CCI200, 210, and WLR; with the exception of the WLR, they were so close to make a difference but went with BR2, since I have quite a few of them. Might just have to include different primer test now too during load development instead of sticking to a "go to" primer as I have done in the past. [:p]
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FEENIX,

Increase your distance to target to 300 yards and re-shoot.

The 9-1/2M results make me leery. I've never seen that type of result from these primers. Try another lot and see if they can repeat consistently.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    FEENIX,

Increase your distance to target to 300 yards and re-shoot.

The 9-1/2M results make me leery. I've never seen that type of result from these primers. Try another lot and see if they can repeat consistently.

Best.

Yep, I plan to and know exactly what you mean about the 9 1/2M.

Cheers!
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try the Fed 215 Match or the CCI 250 Magnum Match. They are designed to ignite large volumes of slow burning powder. I have used both in my search for a long range target load for my .300 Weatherby (yeah, I know about the free-bore). They both light the 89 grains of Re-33 I have been running behind the 220 SMK just fine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Try the Fed 215 Match or the CCI 250 Magnum Match.

I did! It's the 2nd (CCI250) and 3rd (215M) on the chart or top right corner and bottom left corner of the target.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I know i am talking Oranges and this has to do with Apples me pistols and you rifles
    HOWEVERwhen I used to test 45acp target loads in a ransom rest this at 50 yards in a built 1911 I found their was just as much variation between lot numbers of the same maker and primer number as there was between makers of primers. I did all my testing in 30 shot groups "this is how many shots one shoots at 50 yards 10 ring is just over 3 inches and X ring 1/2 of that one lot number might have 25 X's but 5 8's or 9's another might have 18 x's bull all the rest would be 10's I purchased primers in lots of 5000 or 10000 same with swaged bullets and bullseye powder in up to 3 8LB jugs at a time same lot number. I am a big believer in same lot numbers if you really want to test and remember if your 3 shot group is 2inches than it will never be better than 2 inches but a 3 shot one inch group can become a 5 inch group on the next shot I also like large numbers at
    least 10 shots in any grope I am going to accept as GOOD enough to load this powder /Bullet /primer
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I know i am talking Oranges and this has to do with Apples me pistols and you rifles
    HOWEVERwhen I used to test 45acp target loads in a ransom rest this at 50 yards in a built 1911 I found their was just as much variation between lot numbers of the same maker and primer number as there was between makers of primers. I did all my testing in 30 shot groups "this is how many shots one shoots at 50 yards 10 ring is just over 3 inches and X ring 1/2 of that one lot number might have 25 X's but 5 8's or 9's another might have 18 x's bull all the rest would be 10's I purchased primers in lots of 5000 or 10000 same with swaged bullets and bullseye powder in up to 3 8LB jugs at a time same lot number. I am a big believer in same lot numbers if you really want to test and remember if your 3 shot group is 2inches than it will never be better than 2 inches but a 3 shot one inch group can become a 5 inch group on the next shot I also like large numbers at
    least 10 shots in any grope I am going to accept as GOOD enough to load this powder /Bullet /primer

That is why I noted ...

quote:Originally posted by FEENIX
    Just sharing "as-is" for what it is worth.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am reminded of statistical sampling, sample size and confidence limits.
    The greater the sample size the more reliable the results and the closer the confidence limits.
    As Perry suggests, increase sample size.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Just an update! The 9 1/2M yielded better result at 200 yards. The prize >>> http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=663462&SearchTerms=.300,WSM,kill
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very nice buck. Very good shooting.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Very nice buck. Very good shooting.

Thank you Sir!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    I am reminded of statistical sampling, sample size and confidence limits.
    The greater the sample size the more reliable the results and the closer the confidence limits.
    As Perry suggests, increase sample size.

As management analyst, I deal with stats every day and is one of my job's core competencies, and fully aware of a representative sampling, and appreciate the reiteration but as you can see my final load yielded the ultimate prize.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so now you know why the load books normally list a primer used for the load/powder used, as they tested it.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    so now you know why the load books normally list a primer used for the load/powder used, as they tested it.

That's a given, otherwise they'll never publish it.