In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Broke my 1st inertia hammer ...

FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
1%20of%203_zpsv7zeifht.jpg
2%20of%203_zpsgehxknof.jpg
3%20of%203_zpsrwklwlwn.jpg

Purchased it summer of 2015 with less than 30 bullets pulled thus far. I was expecting it to last longer than it did. Sent RCBS an e-mail but they are closed for the weekend.

Ed

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I have broken a number of them some times it helps to hit a block of hard wood not steel or stone The worst is military with heavy crimped bullets with That black sealer
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's certainly not where I would have expected it to break.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I have broken a number of them some times it helps to hit a block of hard wood not steel or stone

I only hit on wood ...

4_zpsfcregvxc.jpg

I have an Frankford Arsenal that's 8 years old with plenty of bullets pulled without any issues except the fatty .300 WSM brass is to fat to fit.

Frankford%20Arsenal_zpsinaqnskm.jpg

quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    That's certainly not where I would have expected it to break.

Yep, me too!
  • CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    The answer to your problem is an RCBS collet bullet puller. They work great on all your jacketed rifle bullets. I've pullet bullets without loosing any powder out of the case.
    W.D.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    The answer to your problem is an RCBS collet bullet puller. They work great on all your jacketed rifle bullets. I've pullet bullets without loosing any powder out of the case.
    W.D.

I have them too and don't care for it.

Bullet%20puller_zpszefxyed3.jpg
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've broken a couple over the years. I've used the RCBS, Midway (Frankford) & Dillon. The Dillon is my favorite & will do those nasty little 300 WSM's as well. The trick I've learned is to use a ball peen hammer. Hitting the puller against the hammer moving both at the same time removed bullets much quicker & with fewer blows. I use a 16oz ball peen Hammer. I've never broken one since switching to this method. P.S. I see you already know the "ear plug" trick.[;)]
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't like the RCBS style collet puller design either. It loosens as you pull. The Forster design gets tighter as you pull.

If the bullets have been seated for a long time or even worse asphalted in like military ammo, then seating the bullets about 1/16" deeper breaks the bond making it easier to pull the bullets.
    edited November -1
    I went ahead and ordered the http://grip-n-pull.com/ and giving it another go.
  • pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the way I like to get them out is to take them to the range and send them down the tube but occasionally I had a bad one then I used the foster to pull em.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    the way I like to get them out is to take them to the range and send them down the tube but occasionally I had a bad one then I used the foster to pull em.

Likewise! However, what I was working on when the hammer broke was not loaded rounds; doing some seating depth tests for a friend.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just noticed my RCBS, which was replaced last year or so, is shattered all over but in one piece.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That broken few of those is why I have RCBS. Never seen one break like that. Give RCBS CS a email or call about that one.
    RCBS has replaced mine few times and sent me some spare chucks with no whining or crying on their part. Lifetime warranty.
    I think maybe Hornady has same lifetime warranty.

I have the RCBS collet type that fits in reloading press but I don't like to use it unless I'm going to give the bullets a toss. Kinda distorts the bullets. I purposely test fired some bullets that were slightly distorted from being pulled by the collet type puller in a accurate Rem 700 243 and they still grouped good but could not bring myself to reload any more of the distorted bullets though.
    I suspect this 243 very accurate would shoot rubber/wood bullets into a good group.

I've got to try the ball pein hammer trick. Those foam ear plugs in the end sure do the trick about not distorting the bullet tips when they release.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I broke my RCBS puller after a few years of use, I even had it taped up but the plastic eventually fails. I have a Lyman one with the metal handle now. So far so good...
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a fella on here old me to use my bullet seater to break seals and crimps lose by just seating a bit deeper, you will feel then move. By golly they sure come out much easier.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FEENIX

Just got it this PM ...

Grip-N-Pull_zps1fr50sg1.jpg
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by EhlerDave
    I think a fella on here old me to use my bullet seater to break seals and crimps lose by just seating a bit deeper, you will feel then move. By golly they sure come out much easier.

Sometimes, that depends on the bullet type and how they are seated. Below are both .300 WM loaded with .208 A-Max. The one on the left is just over SAAMI at 3.44" COAL and the one on the right is 3.63" COAL. As you can see, the one on the left is seated low already and the collet puller I have cannot grip the ogive and seating it any lower unlike the one on the right would make even worst.

Savage111FvsSAKOM995_zps91f4c3f7.jpg
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you ever lose or screw up those little collets things that hold your cartridge in those bullet pullers you can use the shell holder out of your press instead. That's all I use in mine now. It's a lot easier to use. I put a piece of tape over the hole in the plastic cap so that no powder can't come out since the shell holder don't fit tight against that hole.
  • peddlerpeddler Member Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    broke one just like that a rcbs
    edited November -1

Just got it this PM ...

That grip and pull don't look very user friendly!

Give us a report?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

Just got it this PM ...

Give us a report?

It's actually very user friendly but it leaves a slight mark on the bullet depending on how much pressure is applied. Below are the new .308 cal 220g ELD-X from Hornady.

220%20ELD-X_zpsxpdmqmux.jpg

The 2nd, 5th and 6th are the ones that slipped and I had to do it twice. Not sure if there's something out there that I can coat the gripping surface to reduce or eliminate the marring.

As far as the update on the RCBS bullet puller, my tracker shows they received it Friday.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/419303/forster-collet-style-bullet-puller

The collets go in from the top and get tighter the harder you pull.

added The Forster design doesn't deform the bullets because it doesn't loosen when you pull, the other designs require you to over-tighten thus often deforming the bullet to make up for the inferior design that loosen when you pull.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/419303/forster-collet-style-bullet-puller

The collets go in from the top and get tighter the harder you pull.

I considered the Forster and Hornady before going with RCBS's version because it is off the shelf for me to try. Thanks!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    Originally posted by FEENIX

Just got it this PM ...

Give us a report?

It's actually very user friendly but it leaves a slight mark on the bullet depending on how much pressure is applied. Below are the new .308 cal 220g ELD-X from Hornady.

220%20ELD-X_zpsxpdmqmux.jpg

The 2nd, 5th and 6th are the ones that slipped and I had to do it twice. Not sure if there's something out there that I can coat the gripping surface to reduce or eliminate the marring.

As far as the update on the RCBS bullet puller, my tracker shows they received it Friday.

When pulling really tight bullets the RCBS colltt puller will actually put a really distorted groove in the jacket.
    That is why I prefer a interta puller so as to save undistorted re-useable bullets

I think I could live with those marks left by the grip and pull but have doubts about if the bullets are real tight using hands only to pull bullets.
    I could see maybe using a press and shellholer and running the case up thru the top of the press and then using the lever to pull down with the grip and pull on top.

You might want to consider asking RCBS to send you some spare chucks (shell holders) with the puller.[;)]
    It's a sure thing that they will eventually be needed. They sent me like 3 spare sets free when I asked.(and I do still believe in Santa Clause, which is about only thing I believe in now days. A man needs to believe in something.
  • papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are replacing mine again. RCBS is the best, other gun people are good too.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743I think I could live with those marks left by the grip and pull but have doubts about if the bullets are real tight using hands only to pull bullets.

Me too, I'll used them for fire-forming brass and barrel break-in.

quote:Originally posted by papernicker
    They are replacing mine again. RCBS is the best, other gun people are good too.

E-mail from RCBS ...

RCBS_zpsczsxgrfo.jpg
    edited November -1
    Got the replacement today ...

RCBS%20REPLACEMENT_zpsyculyvb8.jpg