In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

44 Special Brass VS. 44 S&W Special Brass???

Redbear57Redbear57 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
This may be a dumb question, but is there any real difference between 44 Special Brass & 44 S&W Special Brass, as far as reloading purposes go? .....[?]

Comments

• navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No difference as long as it says Special. S&W developed the .44 S&W Special to replace the .44 Russian cartridge. Over time it is now just called the .44 Special.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    At one time, the .38 Special was properly called the .38 S&W Special- and it just killed Colt to have to mark their guns ".38 S&W Special". So for a few years, Colt hade a .38 Colt Special. I have ONE cartridge in my collection with that headstamp. But then Colt could stop marking their guns with the S&W initials.

Same deal with .44 S&W Special. Both are the same round. And if you think this was petty, I would remind you of how proud Colt was of the .45 Automatic Colt Pistol (ACP) cartridge name.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to mention the SAP, Savage Automatic Pistol, cartridges which just coincidentally were just the same as the ACPs.