In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 32-40

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
I had purchased a 1885 Winchester 32-40 that came with a lot of reloaded ammo. I tried the ammo in my 94 and it would not cycle, the ammo is to long and pointed. Not something I want in a magazine. I had some John Wayne Commemorative that works just fine. Can somebody tell me what bullet I could buy to replace the bullet that is in my ammo so I can use in my lever gun.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's really hard to tell from here what will work. Your single ammo could be loaded hotter because it was intended for the stronger action than the lever gun and only necked sized just for that single shot rifle. Could be different diameters .321 to .324.

Midway has cast flat nose bullets.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/32-40-wcf-322-323/br?cid=9358

or some jacketed
    http://www.midwayusa.com/32-special-321/br?cid=9020

added New or additional cannelure can be rolled into the bullets almost anywhere you want one.

I would just shoot cast bullets in them if they were mine.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I load 170 grain cast lead bullets. They are flat nosed.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No way I'd shoot somebody else's reloads especially somebody I don't know. I'd dump the powder and keep the brass and bullets.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been a while, but the last time I checked, Speer and Hornady made 170 gr. .321" dia. bullets intended for the .32 Special. While they are the correct dia., the crimp groove is in the wrong place for the .32-40. With the case crimped into the groove, the cartridge is too long to feed in a '94 Winchester. I get around that by using a slower burning, bulky powder that fills the case (30 gr. of IMR4064 works pretty good). That prevents the bullet from setting back in the tubular magazine during recoil. Of course, with the mild velocities generated by the .32-40, there is not much recoil involved, so it works OK.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "While they are the correct dia., the crimp groove is in the wrong place for the .32-40"...........you could get a Lee cripm die for the .34/40, no crimp grove needed.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are looking to shoot lead bullets, yo can get them from Missouri bullet co.