In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

shell holder #2

I have a set of 30-30 dies that says #2 shell holder but the 30-30 case rim won't fit into shell holder is there another shell holder I should be using? All my books say #2 I'm at a loss, did they change the rim on the 30-30 or somethimg that makes them not work with #2 shell holder. THANKS for any info.

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    #3 is 30-06, 22-250, 308, 243, etc.

30-30 is #2.

In RCBS numbers.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #2 should be correct for an RCBS shell holder in 30-30. Could be miss marked or you have odd ball brass. Check your brass dimensions, I once had some Norma 44 Mag brass that didn't the correct shell holder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-30_Winchester

Are your cases bulge down by the head, primers are flush or have a big burr from an extractor?
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Lyman = #6
    Hornady = #2
    RCBS = #2
    Lee = #3
    Redding = #2
    CH = #2
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by smokeymt46
    I have a set of 30-30 dies that says #2 shell holder but the 30-30 case rim won't fit into shell holder is there another shell holder I should be using? All my books say #2 I'm at a loss, did they change the rim on the 30-30 or somethimg that makes them not work with #2 shell holder. THANKS for any info.

There are shell holder cross reference charts online that you can download; I like the one Graf and Sons have >>> http://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/15.pdf
  • Options
    smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    smokeymt46smokeymt46 Member Posts: 58 ✭✭
    edited November -1

Well I guess my #2 holder is not a #2 because all my brass will not fit in it. Must be marked wrong. THANKS for all your help till next time Larry
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a shell holder that came with the dies for 45LC That the brass does not fit but the same # die out of another set works fine.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cartridges of the World gives rim thickness as .058. My brass varies from.055 to .060. I have an older #2 RCBS holder that takes all of them with room to spare. Check your holder to make sure it is stamped RCBS#2. If so, it has to be out of spec. Another manufacturer's #2 might be for some other caliber.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lee #2 holder is for .045 rim (22/250, 257 Roberts etc.) Lee number for 30-30 is #3. Other mfgrs. may be similarly confusing.