In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

RCBS customer service

4406v4406v Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
I was backing my boat into the garage and ran into the handle on my RCBS reloading press bending it. I called RCBS to buy another handle. Turns out I have the old style no longer available. They offered to retro-fit the new style handle to my toggle AT NO CHARGE. RCBS is a stand up company who will get ALL of my reloading supply business from now on!!!

Comments

• the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    They are copying Dillon.....but still....they aint Dillon!

Just saying.
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What does that have to do with the OP?
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the middle

Just saying.

Considering RCBS has always had the same warranty and showed the same attitude toward customer service, BEFORE Mr. Dillon ever loaded his first round of ammo, what's your point (other than proving that you're just another flaming AH, that is)?
    IOW It would be more accurate to say that Dillon copied the standard for Customer Service that Fred Huntington (the founder of RCBS) laid down some 75 years ago.
  • MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1

Just saying.

They sure ain't Dillon! I agree! I can actually afford the RCBS equipment!
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I posted on here looking for a part for my old RCBS lube sizer.I got an Email from RCBS wanting to know what I needed.It was delivered a couple of days later,free of charge.That is the kind of people I prefer to do business with.
  • rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    Considering RCBS has always had the same warranty and showed the same attitude toward customer service, BEFORE Mr. Dillon ever loaded his first round of ammo, what's your point (other than proving that you're just another flaming AH, that is)?
    IOW It would be more accurate to say that Dillon copied the standard for Customer Service that Fred Huntington (the founder of RCBS) laid down some 75 years ago.

OUCH!
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong

OUCH!

AND OMG, Bless You'all!!!!!!!

NRA Member
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    RCBS warranty is very good now days but when the Old Man that started it was running it, If you had a problem with one of his products you had to talk to GOD first and if he said it was OK then you could talk to RCBS to no avail.
  • the middlethe middle Member Posts: 3,089
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by chuck
    RCBS warranty is very good now days but when the Old Man that started it was running it, If you had a problem with one of his products you had to talk to GOD first and if he said it was OK then you could talk to RCBS to no avail.

This is where I got my opinion of RCBS customer service. My granddad told me about them back when he was teaching me to reload, and recommended I avoid the brand if I could.

I see now that RCBS has changed for the better, or maybe granddad just steered me in the wrong direction in the first place.

Either way, Im glad RCBS gave you good service. I will remember that next time Im in the market for reloading gear.

BTW....RCBS is a hell of a lot more expensive than Dillon......just saying
  • machine gun moranmachine gun moran Member Posts: 5,198
    edited November -1
    Redding's customer service is excellent, too. I bought a competition seatig die from an internet dealer, but when it arrived, I found that it was missing parts. The dealer said that he had no other dies in that caliber that he could take parts from, and he offered me no assistance. So I e-mailed Redding and told them which parts I needed to buy, but they sent me the parts for nothing.

Dillon customer service is good, but their products are junky. I bought a 550B which had a defective primer-ram carrier block which would not seat the primers squarely because of an off-axis ram hole. I went over to the Dillon plant, and showed them the problem. The guy at the counter gave me THREE ram-carrier blocks, for nothing. When I got home, I discovered that all three of them had holes that were drilled crooked.

RCBS won that one.
  • 35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my experience, knowing quite a few people that have been reloading many more years that I have, I can say that Dillon has been on the receiving end of at least three times the number of issues, returns, and complaints vs. RCBS.

Much like machine gun moran; send parts back for service, get the same problems in return, only in new packaging. No thanks, I'll stick with a company that actually has quality control in check.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4406v,

I can honestly say that everyone I know who reloads has had a positive experience with RCBS when it comes to replacing parts and other Customer Service related problems. However, the same level of Customer service exists with the other companies as well, it's just not as highly touted. This is essentially a WIN/WIN for every reloader in the US. We are being catered to by these companies even though we are paying for the experience in the upfront pricing. It's a great thing to get such a positive response from manufacturers today.

Bear in mind though that every manufacturer will eventually run into a problem with quality here and there. It's unavoidable given the volume of the industry today. Besides, most of the manufacturing is done in China and the parts shipped to the US. Most of the manufacturing takes place on production lines at high speeds and literally dozens of parts can be misaligned before the entire line or a single machine can be stopped for adjustments. The Chinese ship what they make, good and bad, and the US representative are supposed to ferret out the bad parts.

If everyone is on the same (or similar) level plane with manufacturing then the competition between companies rests on the overall, consistent quality and then Customer Service, of course. Exemplary Customer Service can be the greatest advertising cost paid for by us the consumer.

Best.
  • JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are excellent. Maybe the best company I've ever dealt with for anything. Recently, I had a decapping pin bend on me. It was probably my fault. They asked what caliber. I was willing to buy a package. They shipped me a pack of 5 and the holding rod that bent for free. Didn't even ask. Almost felt guilty not at least paying the shipping.
  • ShanlingShanling Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just purchased the RCBS RC Master kit. Not ready to start using it yet bu you folks are making me glad I went with RCBS. Thanks folks.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just saying.

No they are not. RCBS was around with a replacement warranty when Dillon Corporation was just a dream in it founders eye.

The Moniker of TROLL replacing your member status is very well deserved; you prove it almost daily.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had good experiences with RCBS, too. Bought a batch of used stuff and had missing parts. Asked to buy what I needed and they sent it no charge. Of course, I've also had great experiences with guys on this forum: A friend gave me about 1500 Alcan LR primers, the ones with the dome shaped cup. I didn't think to check with RCBS but asked on here if anyone knew where I could get a seating punch for those primers. A forum member (unfortunately I can't remember who) replied that he had a punch and never used it, I gave him my address and he sent it! I try to do similar things for others.

BTW: Those primers work great in my M1's. Apparently the cup is a little on the hard side for some of my rifles. I have a sporterized 1917 that has been converted to cock on open and I will get an occasional misfire with the Alcans.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an assortment of RCBS stuff. Most of it is ok in both design and function. I have other friends that have gotten excellent service from them when needed in the past.
  • mj69mj69 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The RCBS warranty is worthless on their digital scales. I bought one several years ago with limited lifetime warranty, and then in the fine print they write an exception to cover the only part that ever goes bad. And, not only do they refuse to cover it, they won't even fix it if you pay for it. Scale is garbage at this point, as is my electronic powder dispenser that goes with it. The song and dance I got from the RCBS manager was pathetic. I will never buy another of their products again.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many molds for those things do you think are out there?
    I figure there is one plastics company cranking them out with whatever trademark is ordered.
  • WilyoteWilyote Member Posts: 32
    edited November -1
    I have done business with RCBS since the early 70's. They have always helped me with whatever I needed. I once bought a beat up RCBS scale at an auction for $20. I was rebuilding it and after talking to customer service, I was told to send it in. I received my scale back in three weeks looking like new with a cover. The scale lists for over $100.

I also do business with Hornady, Wilson, Redding and Lee... Never once have I had to pay for something that broke (if it broke). I had a Redding die that had issues and was told send it back. Received an upgrade for my troubles with a coupon.

These are all American Companies with a good track records.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got a XXXX list of companies that I would not buy any of their products if they were the only ones in the world. If they (customer service) leave a bad taste in my mouth just once, I don't go back for seconds.

Black and Decker (customer service sucks big air) their products are usually disposable or single repair part costs more than new product and Authorized repair stations suck big air. I hope that Harbor Freight buys B&D out and make a upgrade to B&D products, but this could drag HF down so low they might not ever recover.

Bushnell (not trustworthy)

Gerber Knives, (CS sucks big air)
    Savage (customer service sucks big air royally)
    S&W (customer service sucks big air) Has really dragged down T/C CS.
    Shameful how S&W has ruined T/C CS and S&W don't care.

Just to name a few W/O looking at the list, but these are about in their correct order.

Read the fine print and watch out for them limited and implied warranties.
  • GUNFUNCOGUNFUNCO Member Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've had great service from RCBS, Dillon.

Lyman was OK but not as good as RCBS and Dillon.

Dillon replaced one of their tumblers and an electronic scale (both out of warranty) for free as well as numerous small parts.

RCBS replaced a motor for my tumbler and I wasn't even the original purchaser aswell as numerous small parts, decap assemblies etc.

Lyman charged me to rebuild a scale, sent back some dies that weren't chambered right (in my opinion) and didn't have a part for one of my Lyman bullet molds. No more Lyman products for me-I'll pay a little more and get RCBS for my single stage stuff-that's why I bought the RCBS electronic scale/powder dispenser over the Lyman.

Remington and Ruger have both treated me very well when I had a problem or needed repairs on several firearms.

Case knives repaired a little 3 blade stockman style pocketknife I found in an old couch that had the main blade broken. They actually took the knife apart, put in a new blade, replaced the rivets, polished it and shipped it back to me for free.

If more companies treated customers like the good ones listed above, people would gladly pay more for American made products.

On the other hand, I was treated so poorly by a whirlpool customer service rep, that I just bought a LG washer and a Bosch dishwasher instead of Whirlpool or Maytag.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mj69
    The RCBS warranty is worthless on their digital scales. I bought one several years ago with limited lifetime warranty, and then in the fine print they write an exception to cover the only part that ever goes bad. And, not only do they refuse to cover it, they won't even fix it if you pay for it. Scale is garbage at this point, as is my electronic powder dispenser that goes with it. The song and dance I got from the RCBS manager was pathetic. I will never buy another of their products again.

Odd, my 1500 combo died and they sent me a brand new one FREE. Maybe the approach method asking for help had sumptin' to do with it.
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

I had an issue with my 1500 and I called them they asked me to send it in with a check for $26 to cover shipping and when I got the NEW 1500 there was an envelope in the box with my check in it. They never cashed it. They have my business until they tell me they don't want it anymore!

Odd, my 1500 combo died and they sent me a brand new one FREE. Maybe the approach method asking for help had sumptin' to do with it.
  • redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ChetStafford
    quote:Originally posted by bpost

I had an issue with my 1500 and I called them they asked me to send it in with a check for $26 to cover shipping and when I got the NEW 1500 there was an envelope in the box with my check in it. They never cashed it. They have my business until they tell me they don't want it anymore!

People don't realize that if you ask the right question and waite for their answer you have better results instead of demanding the out come you want. I have been reloading for 30 years and never had a problem out of my RCBS equipment.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Just saying.

Fanboi

Dillon copied RCBS not the other way around.

To everyone else, I like Dillion, don't get me wrong. But they came after RCBS was already doing this (warranty included).
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

So which digital scale did you replaced it with that has a lifetime warranty?