In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Double wall 9mm

B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
I was given some once fired brass (saw the man fire it) from a 9mm.
The brass is stamped FN 9mm LUGER, as was the box they came out of. The cases appear to have a double wall up to the point where the powder would fill to, and the bullet would be seated to. I have loaded for 36 years and never seen anything like this. The inner wall ends .372 into the case,which is a little over bullet diameter, and there is a definite top edge to it, just as thick as the end of the case itself. They are boxer primed and size just as any other case would. I would think the smaller area where the powder would be ignited would cause excess pressure so maybe it is some kind of a +p load or something. Has anyone ever seen these before?

Comments

• B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forgemonkey
    Maybe this ,,,,,,,,?????

image_43.jpeg

Yes that is exactly what I was trying to describe. Now for the $50,000 dollar questions? Why? Wouldn't other Mfgrs. put this in if bullet setback was a major problem? And have you reloaded any of these?

Thanks
    Jake
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    if nothing else it's a solution to the 'glock bulge' [:D]
  • reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's definitely a new one for me.
  • XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just for fun, I once made a box of 380's from 223 brass and they looked just like that. (or 45acp from 308's)
  • perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Please look at sticky on reloading for semi auto pistols I think I addressed this in a sticky on reloading forum
    The first time I had the problem was after loading 5 00 once fired
    Remington UMC cases with V.V. 310 powder and Nosler 185 grain JHP Bullet TO SHOOT AT BIG MATCHES. set back can be dangerous . i was SHOOTING IN State championship WHEN KABOOM blew the grips off and ruined the magazine . I switched pistols and type of ammo back to my lead loads and finished match . when I got home the case looked just like the one forgemonkey has posted . I thought I had made a error in loading pulled 25 rounds with collet type puller all powder charges right on the money put the rest of the ammo away
    fast forward 10 years Had 4 boxes of this ammo for spare get to match and it was on the beach in Va. DAMN NECK Navel Base
    wind blowing more than 40 MPH so lets use this spare ammo 3th shot Kaboom repeat same thing . switch guns and ammo finish match . Iget home and decide to pull remaining 380 rounds with my INERTIA bullet puller to save the high $ bullets first round one tap and bullet jumped out of the case mouth next round lighter tap same results
    3-10th round tap the open palm of my hand still same results WTH that when I find out UMC BRASS IS VERY THIN WALLED BRASS AND NOSLER 45acp JHP BULLETS ARE 451. NOT 452 I take a full box of 50 rounds and with very light pressure of one finger Bullet will slide down in the case mouth until it touches the powder charge this was with a sizing die
    that had worked to load over 300,000 rounds of match grade wadcutter ammo in Both WW brass as well as Winchester Match 45acp brass and swaged lead bullets That I sized & lubed to .452 Diameter . During that time Zero ammo trouble. so I guess bottom line if you change cases or powder or bullets make sure the sizing die makes for a case that holds the bullet firmly . The double wall case shown would take care of that problem but with the Reduced case capacity You would have to work up new powder weights and watch Velocity each type of bullet has a sweet spot and be on the look out for pressure signs. I would love to have about 500 of those cases to ransom rest in match pistols
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lip to prevent bullet setback OR " I believe the internal step is to simulate the internal volume of the tapered wall thicknesses that most 9mm casings have. Of the differnt headstamps I've measured, all of them have walls that are much thicker at the bottom. Most of them have a constant thickness from the mouth to about 0.25 deep, then start to taper. Hornady starts the taper at the case mouth. " http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=772561 9mm.jpghttp://smith-wessonforum.com/reloading/288787-ammoload-headstamp-9x19-brass.html#post137789545 Ammoload brass
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to everyone that posted. Between everyone on this forum, I think we know everything.[;)]
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I compared the same load of HP38 and a 125 gr coated lead bullet in regular and "ledge" brass.
    the "Ledge Load" was 7 fps faster than in conventional brass.

I need to look for something else to worry about.
  • kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't a taper crimp die solve the bullet setback problems?
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Maybe designed for sub guns where rapid rate of cycle and oversized chambers might cause issues?