In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornady powder measure

max2005max2005 Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
Gents:

Recently obtained the Hornady lock-n-load progressive press, as I'm shooting enough 9mm, .45ACP and .223 to warrant it. My first attempt last night with .223 was a disaster, at least where the powder measure is concerned. I was attempting to use H322 powder and my charge choice of 22 grains (middle of road loading), but found the pistol rotor supplied with the measure couldn't be adjusted out far enough to get within the range (minimum 21 grains starting load, could only go as high as about 16 grains).

No problem, even though a small case I figured I needed to swap out with the rifle rotor, which I did - this is where the surprise came in - at least with this powder the smallest charge I could get with the minimum adjustment was 26 grains! There appears to be a "no-man's land" range where there is no over-lap of charge weights with this powder between the pistol and rifle rotor!

Have any of you ran into this problem before, and what was your fix?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a great question for Hornady.

http://www.hornady.com/contact_us

I have an RCBS duel drum powder measure. I can throw down to about zero with the large rifle drum.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    >the smallest charge I could get with the minimum adjustment was 26 grains

My metering assemblies can be adjusted to give me 0.0gn of powder. You are either doing something very wrong or the thread in the metering assembly has a problem that Hornady would be HAPPY to fix.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although, I have other measures, I like the Lee double disk because it is press mounted and also incorporates neck expanding in one stroke.
    If I were A bench rester I'd use a more precision setup.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by max2005
    Gents:

Recently obtained the Hornady lock-n-load progressive press, as I'm shooting enough 9mm, .45ACP and .223 to warrant it. My first attempt last night with .223 was a disaster, at least where the powder measure is concerned. I was attempting to use H322 powder and my charge choice of 22 grains (middle of road loading), but found the pistol rotor supplied with the measure couldn't be adjusted out far enough to get within the range (minimum 21 grains starting load, could only go as high as about 16 grains).

No problem, even though a small case I figured I needed to swap out with the rifle rotor, which I did - this is where the surprise came in - at least with this powder the smallest charge I could get with the minimum adjustment was 26 grains! There appears to be a "no-man's land" range where there is no over-lap of charge weights with this powder between the pistol and rifle rotor!

Have any of you ran into this problem before, and what was your fix?

Thanks!

I don't now if it's the same for Hornady and other progressive reloading press but my friend's Dillon progressive press only works with ball type powder.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gee, and my 1050s work with ANY powder.
    Explain a PRESS not working with a certain type of powder.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by noylj
    Gee, and my 1050s work with ANY powder.
    Explain a PRESS not working with a certain type of powder.

I wish I knew other than he said does not dispense the powder properly (inconsistent, sticking, etc ...) unless it is a ball type. Perhaps, someone else can explain it. He was loading .223s, not sure it that makes a difference.

His issue might be similar to these >>>

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_42/395589_Dillon_550_Powder_Measure_Bar_Sticking.html

https://www.gunandgame.com/threads/reloading-with-stick-powder.87868/
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Sounds like a great question for Hornady.

http://www.hornady.com/contact_us

I have an RCBS duel drum powder measure. I can throw down to about zero with the large rifle drum.

Yep, ask the Horse Mouth, Hornady. Bet they have a easy solution.

I never could get any consistent accuracy with H322 in a 223, maybe Hornady has found out the same about H322 and know you are wasting your time using firecracker powder.