In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need a bullet recommendation .224 caliber

steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
Just bought a 220 swift and need to reload for it. My goal is to find a 50-55 gr .224 bullet that will group 1 moa or less. The rifle will be used for informal target shooting and hunting. Im not really looking for an expensive target bullet but Speer, Nosler, Sierra, Barnes, Hornady etc. Bullet will need to be able to handle 3800 FPS. Anyone have a favorite thats worked well for them?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt that you'll have enough rifling twist to handle anything over 50gr or so. No target bullets in that weight range. Good luck.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a buddy with a Ruger bolt gun in 220 Swift. perhaps the 5th most accurate rifle I ever shot. I'll ask what he uses.

Personally every rifle is different. Partial boxes of bullets from the gun show tables can be a good start for cheaper testing.

Sierra and Hornady have lots of choices in the 50 to 55 grain. I like boattails myself.

Ackley's solid copper controlled expansion bullets were the ticket for hunting.

http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=/_/N-4294966051+4294943576+22042?Np=2&Nr=AND%28p_visible%3A1%2Ccustomertypeid%3A1%29&Nrpp=24&Ns=p_metric_sales_velocity%7C1&Ntpc=1&Ntpr=1
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    steve45,

Knowing both the manufacturer of the rifle and the twist rate will help immensely to solve your question. Anything else is simply second guessing.

Best.

This is a note regarding the twist rates for various rifles:

220 Swift - 1 in 12" . . . . . . . . . . .Savage 112; Thompson/Center Rifle

220 Swift - 1 in 14" . . . . . . . . . . .Winchester 70; Remington 700; Ruger 77; FN;
    Savage 112-V
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it's a 1-12, 1-14 twist I like Hornady 50 grain Vmax and 52 grain Amax. They shoot very good out of my rifles and have a very nice splat factor on varmints.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first center-fire rifle I bought was a Swift with a heavy barrel built on a 1939 German Mauser action. That was in 1958, so I've got 58 years reloading for the Swift. My next Swift is a Ruger 77 that I bought when they first started chambering for that cartridge. You probably don't remember but Ruger said they were going make a limited run so I thought I'd better get one while I could.

The Ruger shoots pretty well with most anything. 50 gr. Hornady spire with 38.6 of IMR4320 averages .77 @ 3792 fps. 50 gr. Remington PLHP with the old classic load of 39 of IMR4064 averages .92 @ 3859 fps. The 55 gr Sierra spt and 42.5 of IMR4350 avg .80 @ 3706 fps and the 55 Speer spt with 42.5 IMR4350 runs about the same. The more costly 53 Sierra HP match with 42.5 IMR4350 tightens the group to .73 and the velocity goes to 3791 fps.

My newest .220 is the Remington "Classic" that I bought in 1992 so I'm quite sure my Swifts are all 1-14" twist. Some of my Swifts shoot alright with the 60 gr. Hornady spire but not with the 60 Hornady Vmax. I believe the 63 gr. Sierra semi-point was designed for the 1-14" rifles like the .220 and .22-.250 but I don't think I've tried that bullet yet.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have a Swift, but my .222, .223, and .22-250 have all done very well with the 52 gr SMK boattail. I think I see a pattern.
    My next best bullet was the Remington 50 gr Powr Lokt, possibly the ugliest bullet on the market, now discontinued. But it shot well.

The internet has made people timid and overanxious on twist rates.
    XXCross and many others are completely out of touch with several decades of varmint rifles with 14 twist shooting 55 and some 60 grain bullets perfectly well.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try a 52 grain Berger FB bullet. You might be impressed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I bought the Ruger model 77 in 220 swift. 1 in 14 twist rate. Thanks for the help everyone.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use 50 grain Nosler BT in my slow twist 220 Swift.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What type of animal are you going to hunt with the 220 swift.

Like maybe deer?

If you are going to shoot any deer sized animals you need to select a HUNTING bullet for such.
    At 3800fps some 220 swift bullets will blown up before good penetration and the animal will run off to die another day is why I ask.
    How do I know this.[:I][B)](been their, done that)

Also you will find that powder type selection testing in the Swift is important for real good accuracy.

1:14 is in the slow twist range but some will group the 60 gr Nosler partition and some will even group the 70gr speer hunting bullets.

You will have to sacrifice some accuracy (usually around 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups as compared to one hole groups for the lighter target bullets) for use of the hunting bullets as compared to the paper punching lighter bullets.

Don't overheat the barrel when testing. (slow 3 shot groups are the normal for me when testing)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Its not for serious hunting, it would be the rifle I carry around during a friends hunt for when I spot a coyote. quote:Originally posted by Okie743
    What type of animal are you going to hunt with the 220 swift.

Like maybe deer?

If you are going to shoot any deer sized animals you need to select a HUNTING bullet for such.
    At 3800fps some 220 swift bullets will blown up before good penetration and the animal will run off to die another day is why I ask.
    How do I know this.[:I][B)](been their, done that)

Also you will find that powder type selection testing in the Swift is important for real good accuracy.

1:14 is in the slow twist range but some will group the 60 gr Nosler partition and some will even group the 70gr speer hunting bullets.

You will have to sacrifice some accuracy (usually around 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups as compared to one hole groups for the lighter target bullets) for use of the hunting bullets as compared to the paper punching lighter bullets.

Don't overheat the barrel when testing. (slow 3 shot groups are the normal for me when testing)
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had unbelievable results with the Dogtown 55 grain Hp bullets (made by nosler) and sold by Midway in all my 22 centerfires.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51
    I have had unbelievable results with the Dogtown 55 grain Hp bullets (made by nosler) and sold by Midway in all my 22 centerfires.

Yep, they are a great bullet. I have shot thousands of them out of AR type rifles. I now buy the Nosler 55 grain FBHP 2nds from SPS. The last time I ordered they had them for 9.99 for a bag of 100, I snagged a few K. Same bullet, just a couple bucks cheaper through SPS, at the time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    quote:Originally posted by B17-P51

Yep, they are a great bullet. I have shot thousands of them out of AR type rifles. I now buy the Nosler 55 grain FBHP 2nds from SPS. The last time I ordered they had them for 9.99 for a bag of 100, I snagged a few K. Same bullet, just a couple bucks cheaper through SPS, at the time.

Rob sorry, what/who is SPS please?
    Thanks
    jake
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shooters Pro Shop. They are selling for 12.95 a bag now. I signed up for email alerts on their specials. They will have sales and free shipping, from time to time. They sell all kinds of stuff, but I have only ever ordered the blems (cosmetic only).

Link for blem bullet page. Pick your caliber on the left menu.

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-blemished-2nds/nosler-blemished-bullets/shopby/f/isAjax/1.html
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Shooters Pro Shop. They are selling for 12.95 a bag now. I signed up for email alerts on their specials. They will have sales and free shipping, from time to time. They sell all kinds of stuff, but I have only ever ordered the blems (cosmetic only).

http://www.shootersproshop.com/nosler-products/nosler-blemished-2nds/nosler-blemished-bullets/shopby/f/isAjax/1.html

Thanks for the info. I'll put it on my favorites. They are out of the ones I would buy but at 9.99 it's no wonder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I check the site everyday. I have been shooting a good amount of the 77 grain OTM's and I am very pleased with the performance. 14 bucks per bag compared to 30 bucks for SMK's and they shoot great out of my rifles.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Good info! (about blem bullets)

Thanks
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using Sierra's 55gr HPBT for a while now in my Swift (Remington 700 Classic), and it's one of the most accurate bullets I've used in it. Most of my work with it has been bullets in the 40-50gr weights, and it has always done well with them, but the 55's have really been an eyeopener. 1/4 to 1/2 moa with boring regularity.[:)]

https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/1390/224-dia-55-gr-HPBT
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.