In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hornet, Primer, No Powder

RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
May (or may not) be of interest to the reloading brethren.
Took my Kimber Cascade down to the woods range and went for my first 3 shot group. All fine with the first 2 shots, then # 3 was a dud.
If there was any sound from the cartridge it was "drowned out" by the sound of the firing pin fall. Thought maybe a bad primer until I openned the action. Empty case, no unburned powder, and a 40 grain bullet that had travelled about 1/4 inch forward and wedged in the rifling lead. Been reloading for numerous rifles and pistols since the early '60's. First time I've found that I loaded with primer, bullet and no powder. Guess it had to happen sooner or later. Glad I didn't get really stupid and try to put another pill down the hole before checking further. Seems that no sound means no bullet clearing the muzzle. Hoping I can go another 50 years with no mishaps!
Side note: steel buttplate on the 82 is finely checkered and I've always been careful when I set it down in my safe or in some corner of the house on my way in or out. Last year I decided to stick a 3/4" velcro dot on the heal end of plate. Protects the metal and doesn't get in the way or look bad.

Comments

• Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've done that: Not often, but it happens.

BTW: Try Lil'Gun powder in your Hornet if you haven't already.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The loading block is your friend. I use a strong over head light to inspect every case to compare the powder level to the next one. I check the powder measure throw weight every 10 rounds. I keep the hopper at least half full.

I was at the local Cabela's the other day. Most every factory ammo was in stock in all cartridges. They had every size primer covered among brands. Good selection of powders. Not much pistol stuff - no Unique, Bullseye or W231. They did have HP38. Good selection of bullets, again not everything - but among the brands you could find something for most stuff. They had some new brass in bags.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charlie and Ambrose,
    Thanks for checking in.
    As for Little Gun, YES! It's my go to powder for the Hornet. 13 grains with a 40 grain pill and small pistol primers works nicely.
    I have and use, more loading blocks than Carter has little liver pills. Not sure how this happened considering the strong light inspection I do with a charge that comes at least half way up the neck. Reminds me of my ol'Man's regarding accidental discharges.
    "Always be ready so that when (not if) it happens, no one gets hurt."
    Happy Trails!
    Rob
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are reloading one at a time I have the primed cases upside down in the reloading block and as I've added powder to a case it's turned right side up and sometimes placed into another loading block. This reduces the possibility of no charge or double charge, the non-charged cases are upside down and the charged cases are upright in another block separated by left and right space. If you find yourself day dreaming while re-loading you need to slap yourself awake or stop until you get your head together again. You were lucky that you did not double charge.

Some of the fast burning powders are hard to see in a rifle case. (even using a light)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Maybe after 50 plus years at the bench I got complacent. The lesson, for me at least, is that even with all the proper recautions, procedures, etc., sometime s.... do happen.
    Just for the record, I've never used, or read of recommendations for using, any powder in the Hornet that would allow for a double charge.
    Bet someone will prove me wrong.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can get in trouble with too light a load too - depends on the case and the powder.

It was a good wake up call. There is looking and seeing.