In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

230 gr rn for 45 colt

varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
recently bought some .452 dia 230 gr rn lead bullets. would like to use some of these as range loads for a .45 colt vaquero. do i need to crimp these. if so where, there is not a crimping groove on them. do i crimp them just in front of the first driving band or not at all. plan on using 9.0 to 10 grs of unique in these.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perry Shooter has covered this pretty well in a sticky at the top of the page.
    http://forums.GunBroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=444978
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you have a taper crimp die you should be able to get them to stay in place during recoil with you fairly light load compared to how hard some people push the Ruger.

I would suggest a bullet designed for a wheel gun not an autoloader. The Lyman 454190 or 452190/452664 250 gr or 452424 255 gr have a proper crimp groove for heavy recoil loads, plus they cut nicer holes in paper.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks guys read perryshooters sticky, should have done that first. yes i know these are not the proper bullets for 45 colt but all im doing is shooting at some steel for fun and i can use these for the revolver and auto loader
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've loaded hundreds and hundreds of these bullets in .45 colt using 9.0 Unique, and the bullet is soft enough to allow a bit of a roll crimp to hold them in place. I've never had an issue with the Vaquero or the Super Redhawk not liking them, nor has a bullet pulled under recoil.

Sometimes you have to use what's available to shoot, and while not perfectly sized for the Colt round, they'll do just fine with mild loadings like this. I won't use them in a lever gun because they rest on the primer a bit too much for my comfort, but one plus I did see is the ease of dropping the ACP profile bullet rounds into the Vaquero cylinder when being timed in SASS type matches when compared to the square-shoulder/wide meplat Keith-style bullets. The LRN profile doesn't have anything to hang up like the Keith, and loads easier than the rifle-friendlier RNFP profiles do.

Load and enjoy!