In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Expensive fertilizer

AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
So I did it. I managed to mix two different powders by mistake. I was reloading 9mm and had Titegroup in the hopper. Went to top it off and grabbed the Bullseye by mistake. Reloaded 100 rounds and was wondering why the weight of the powder being released kept going down every time I checked (each 10 loads). So I retraced my steps and suspected that I had mixed the two powders. In the next couple of hours I learned some interesting stuff:

1. While both Titegroup and Bullseye are flake powders that look very similar, Titegroup granules are slightly off from circular, while Bullseye granules are almost perfectly circular.

2. The burn rates of both powders are almost identical. Every burn rate chart puts these right next to each other.

3. Some people have shot mixes of these two powders with no problems whatsoever.

4. I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I took apart the 100 rounds and gave all the powder in them and the hopper to my wife for her flower beds.

Lesson learned. Pay attention to the material you grab and use. I hope we have some great looking flowers this year [:I]

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also check every 10 round in the block to make sure the powder measure is working properly. I compare the powder level in each case one to the next using a strong overhead light.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never have two types of powder on your bench at the same time. When you finish with one put it in the cabinet before you use another one. Empty the powder hopper every time you finish reloading so there's no question about which powder is in it.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been there, done that.
    Keep the can on the bench and no others.
    Also, keep the powder measure on, so you don't dispense air when you resume loading.
    I marked both ON and OFF positions on the powder measure with felt tip marker.
  • Options
    kenlguykenlguy Member Posts: 233
    edited November -1
    It would have been a lot more fun to spread a long squiggly line on the driveway and light it on one end.[:D]
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Smitty500mag
    Never have two types of powder on your bench at the same time. When you finish with one put it in the cabinet before you use another one. Empty the powder hopper every time you finish reloading so there's no question about which powder is in it.

AMEN: I always went by that rule, but got hit by a weak moment after several years of reloading and mixed IMR and H4350 awhile back due to not immediately emptying the powder hopper when through with the one powder.

Awhile back I was testing IMR4350 and H4350 for accuracy in a very accurate 243 caliber gun and fine tuning the loads and overlooked still having IMR4350 still in the hopper from the previous loads and dumped it in the H4350 1 lb jug.

I was thankful that I caught the accident mixing immediately before my test groups went really bad. The two powders are close in burn rates, but sure gave me a wake up call. I used the mix as fertilizer for some freshly planted pecan trees and they likely the food.

$30 for new 1 lb jug H4350.[:(][:0][:(][:I]
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Keni,
    Have to admit I've lit more than my fair share of squigley lines. Even led one up to a 1/2" hole 6" deep in yard, full of powder.
    Fun stuff.
    That said, make sure you have total control of the surrounding area.
    When I was about 3 years old a relative on the farm led a "long squigley" to a pile of powder. The scar on my right arm is about 8" long plus some decent scarring on my knuckles. Fortunately I have no memory of the incident and other than the cosmetic scars I suffered no permanent damage.
    ALSO, "LONG SQUIGLEY LINES DO NOT WORK WITH BLACK POWDER!"
    No slow fuse like burn there, believe me!!
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just one powder on the bench at a time...put the others away.
  • Options
    AzAfshinAzAfshin Member Posts: 2,986 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for warning SoreShoulder. I'll let the wife know to use it only on the non-consumable plants.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Smitty500mag

I took to making a special place for the powder on my worktable I was running in the hopper at the time.
    One also ought to consider removing any powder from your hopper if you are done with it. I do that only when I'm done experimenting with one powder to the next. But, as long as I'm using one powder I leave it in. As to humidity, I don't have that problem. But, forgetting what's in there IS the problem after a few days. Also, keeping ones self from deciding it's okay not to put the main powder back because you're "just going to make a little batch of this other stuff," is really important.
    Can't say enough about making sure you keep track. Not only is it expensive, you might have to toss the powder you waited two years to get.[V]