In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

international clays

TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
Was given a pound, don't load shotgun.
Is there any other use?
Pita to ship , anyone close to Rochester NY that needs it?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    yes some bulls-eye Target shooters use it in their 45 ACP loads > But I have no idea of the # of grains of powder
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    "International Clays" is different from "Clays", but can be used on most pistol loads such as (but not limited to) .38 spec, .45ACP, and 9mm.

Look up the data on line. It is a shotgun and pistol powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hodgen does not list handgun loads for international.
    A further Web search finds warnings of pressure spikes.
    l guess I'll take it to the club and talk to the shotgun guys about a swap or sale.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used "Clays" which is faster than "International Clays". I think there was a recall on International Clays and that's what you may be hearing about pressure spikes. Maybe why they took it off the pistol list. Anyhow, it's better suited to pistol than Clays, but finding the right load with a good lot is what you would need to do.

Hodgdon should be able to confirm lot no. If it's not a recall lot, they might be able to give you a safe starting load. You'd pretty much be on your own from there.

Note Numbers 10, 14 and 21. If you work up from #10 or #14 using Universal starting numbers you'll be alright. They are all double based powders:
    http://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Burn Rates - 2015-2016.pdf

Also of note: I don't know if it's a marketing or a confusion thing, but they did change the name:
    INTERNATIONALr
    INTERNATIONAL CLAYST

INTERNATIONAL gunpowder is the second in the "CLAYS" gunpowder series of powders, bringing this technology to the 20 gauge reloader. It also works in 12 ga., 2 3/4" light, medium and heavy 1 1/8 oz. loads, and high velocity 1 oz. As with CLAYS gunpowder, clean burning and flawless functioning is the rule. Available in 14 oz., 4 lb. & 8 lb. containers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all for your help.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would start with Clays data and work up. If you don't know how to work up loads and watch for various signs of pressure, don't use. Better to sell it to someone who can use it then cause yourself any problems.
    Just like back it the days, I didn't have load data for Green Dot in .45 Auto or .38 Spl, so I started with Red Dot data and worked up. Worked loads up until pistol was cycling fine and accuracy dropped off and never saw any pressure signs.
    If you want, CALL Hodgdon and ask if they have data. They will supply non-published data.