.

Clays powder and 38 spl load???

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭
Anyone use clays for reloading pistols?? I'm thinking 38 spl, but any other uses would be great too. I usually have about 6-20 pounds around most times since I use it in my 12 gauge loads.

Comments

  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quite common. Hodgdon publishes data.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I use Clays all the time. Target load for me is 2.4 grains for a lead 158 gr. SWC. This is a very light load, but it works well. I use Clays on everything from .380-.45ACP for target loads. Lots of data available on line.

    (I don't like Clays for high vel loads, but it can be used)

    Best of luck
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clays is my favorite for 38 SPL 148gr DEWCs. Have one pound from a few years ago I have been holding back since the supplies of Clays dwindled years ago. Love the way Clays meters, give real consistent loads. If I recall right the burn rate matches closely to Bullseye.
  • noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Clays is OK for almost all handgun cartridges. However, I find it to produce pressure spikes, as does N310 and TiteGroup and prefer "better behaved" powders. Also, Clays seems to have about +/- 0.1gn charge weight range for accuracy. Find Bullseye, Red Dot, AA2, and 231/HP38 to be more versatile.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use unique in all my pistol, shotgun loads. around here anyway it is still fairly easy to find.
  • KronyKrony Member Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I use unique in all my pistol, shotgun loads. around here anyway it is still fairly easy to find.

    I'm a fan of Unique too, have used it from 9mm to 38 spl to 357 mag...Nice to have a powder you can use across that range.
  • TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Krony
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I use unique in all my pistol, shotgun loads. around here anyway it is still fairly easy to find.

    I'm a fan of Unique too, have used it from 9mm to 38 spl to 357 mag...Nice to have a powder you can use across that range.

    yep, if I only had 2 powders they would be Unique and IMR 3031.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger
    quote:Originally posted by Krony
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    I use unique in all my pistol, shotgun loads. around here anyway it is still fairly easy to find.

    I'm a fan of Unique too, have used it from 9mm to 38 spl to 357 mag...Nice to have a powder you can use across that range.

    yep, if I only had 2 powders they would be Unique and IMR 3031.



    my only two are unique and Varget,it does all my rifles.
Sign In or Register to comment.