In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Digital Calipers Review...

Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
In case anyone is looking for some digital calipers that won't break the bank, that have a large digital readout for old eyes, that are made out of stainless steel and that are accurate, I found some on Amazon for $20.99 that I like. And they came with a battery already installed.

How durable they are time will tell but out of the box they keep their zero.

I trimmed some .30-06 brass with my Lee trimmer that cuts the 06 casings to the min. dimension of 2.484" and the Lee trimmer appears to be cutting with in a couple of thousands on every case with majority of them hitting right on the number as in the photo below.

I also checked the calipers on a number of feeler gauges and they read correctly on all of them.

I ordered them late on Tuesday afternoon and they arrived this morning on Thursday less than 48 hours later so they ship fast too. And with Amazon Prime the shipping is included.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016JZFYN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been using my old dial calipers for many years but evidently they are messing up because the numbers kept getting smaller and smaller until I need glasses and a magnifying glass just to read them now. [:)]

DSCN3059.jpg

DSCN3060.jpg

DSCN3077.jpg

DSCN3082.jpg

Comments

• nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Smitty500mag,

As long as you're satisfied and you can use them accurately, nearly any of the under $30.00 calipers will suffice. Most folks though don't need to $200.00 oil/waterproof, plug into the laptop calipers for basic reloading. The only exception is those atrocious plastic things that some of reloading websites try to pawn off on the unsuspecting public.

My most expensive pair will do anything except sing, dance and whistle Dixie...

Best.
  • Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About only thing I ever mentioned as a HF keeper.[:I]

I kinda hate to even breathe this, but you will not believe how accurate the HF digital calipers are and how long they will last if you don't drop them on concrete or step on them. You can find them on sale for around $9-$12. What is really great is you can get a reading in inches and switch to mm instantly and vice versa.

I keep couple pairs around for the kids and grandkids to use when they are reloading or need to mic something. No great loss if they get broken and I've never seen one quit yet other than batteries.
    I buy the replacement caliper batteries from flea bay and store them in the refrigerator and they last forever.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had the Midway/Frankfort Arsenal digitalis.
    Accurate and convenient but useless battery life.
    Maybe I'll try HF.
  • iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    Smitty500mag,

As long as you're satisfied and you can use them accurately, nearly any of the under $30.00 calipers will suffice. Most folks though don't need to $200.00 oil/waterproof, plug into the laptop calipers for basic reloading. The only exception is those atrocious plastic things that some of reloading websites try to pawn off on the unsuspecting public.

My most expensive pair will do anything except sing, dance and whistle Dixie...

Best.

So will mine, except they aren't as accurate as a good micrometer (which can be had in digital readout for our old eyes).

Without using a set of gauge blocks, there isn't a way to determine the accuracy of larger measurements.
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx

Without using a set of gauge blocks, there isn't a way to determine the accuracy of larger measurements.

My old more expensive set of dial calipers read exactly the same on larger measurements as this new set of digital calipers do so I'm satisfied that they are accurate enough for reloading.
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Mitutoyo dial calipers got hard for old eyes to see,so I bought a set of HF digitals and the work fine.I always keep mine in the case and take the battery out when not using them.
  • AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello - always enjoy your posts - would you mind telling me which "hosting" site you use to post your pictures. I am trying to learn to take pictures and post them here - such as the fishing forum.

I have tried to use the e-mail icon to e-mail directly - but it returns "recipient address rejected:aol.com".

My e-mail icon works if you had rather answer there. Many thanks in advance for your guidance. Best regards - AQH
  • Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use Postimage.org most of the time. I still use Photobucket.com sometimes for some photos that I have stored there but Postimage is a lot faster.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

I kinda hate to even breathe this, but you will not believe how accurate the HF digital calipers are and how long they will last if you don't drop them on concrete or step on them. You can find them on sale for around $9-$12. What is really great is you can get a reading in inches and switch to mm instantly and vice versa.

I keep couple pairs around for the kids and grandkids to use when they are reloading or need to mic something. No great loss if they get broken and I've never seen one quit yet other than batteries.
    I buy the replacement caliper batteries from flea bay and store them in the refrigerator and they last forever.

I actually just bought a pair of the HF digitals a couple weeks ago and love them. Came with battery installed and an extra in the box. Have been dead on with my measurements so far. Think I got them with a coupon for $11 or so.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The issue I have had with all the cheapo 20 buck Amazon/Midway units is they eat batteries like candy, even when turned off they kill the battery and they die a fast sudden death in about 6-9 months.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by goldeneagle76
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

I actually just bought a pair of the HF digitals a couple weeks ago and love them. Came with battery installed and an extra in the box. Have been dead on with my measurements so far. Think I got them with a coupon for $11 or so.

You can buy the little NAME BRAND button batteries from flea bay cheaper than from retailers and store them in the refrigerator for long term storage.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost
    The issue I have had with all the cheapo 20 buck Amazon/Midway units is they eat batteries like candy, even when turned off they kill the battery and they die a fast sudden death in about 6-9 months.

I've seen such about batteries even when using the higher priced digital calipers and it's the batteries, not the calipers. Store your un-used spare batteries in a refrigerator and they will last longer.
    I have a button battery tester and I test new batteries before installing them into calipers and sure enough the weaker bats don't live very long even when the calipers are turned off, especially if the calipers are stored where temp extremes vary.
    Also pay attention to exp dates when buying batteries.