In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9mm: buy vs reload?

KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
Just curious your guys' thoughts on reloading 9mm as prices have come back down. Specifically range ammo, not any match type stuff.

When 9mm is $13/50 rounds it makes sense to me to reload. (And I always reload 38 & 357 mag.) I recently picked up 1000 rounds of Tula 9mm for $170 delivered...Also recently got some 9mm 124gr lead for $28/500. Thinking I'll save the Tula for my local indoor range that doesn't allow reloads.

Got me wondering what every one else thought...When do you buy vs reload?

Comments

• Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 904 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reload when experimentation with various loads produces one that the gun "likes" better than factory rounds: i.e., improved accuracy.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you put the reloads back in factory boxes, how would the range know they were reloads?????
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reloading to me was always a balance between cost, time, technical interest and personal satisfaction. Any one factor could predominate at some point in time. If I see a good buy on ammo to just shoot in the dirt or hunt with, I buy it.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hillbille
    if you put the reloads back in factory boxes, how would the range know they were reloads?????

Yep, I do that on 38 & 357. For the rare times I go to an indoor range I usually have some factory 9mm on hand.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload, thus I never buy factory.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The factory ammo I shoot is shotgun and 22LR. Almost everything else is reloaded. I do have milsurp 8mm and 7.62X54R that was purchased years ago dirt cheap that is my burner ammo for plinking. However, I still load both calibers for other shooting much of it with cast bullets.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload all of the stuff I shoot not to save money but because I just like reloading and that includes shotgun shells. It's also more convenient to be able to make what you need and not have to go shopping for it.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I stuck with factory my Ruger, most likely, wouldn't have cost the company money to ship plus some parts. I hope to figure why my cast bullets fail to fire...rarely.
  • Options
    lexusmgrlexusmgr Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I reload all my ammo. I even learned to cast so my cost for 9mm with free wheel weights and Free range pick up brass is about $0.06/round. Of course, there is your time, but I'm retired and have plenty of time on my hands.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by papernicker
    If I stuck with factory my Ruger, most likely, wouldn't have cost the company money to ship plus some parts. I hope to figure why my cast bullets fail to fire...rarely.

Don't want to hijack this thread but what Ruger do you have? I have a GP-100 in 44 Spl.with the same problem. Also have grossly off center primer strikes in 2 chambers.