In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

6.5-06 question

hadjiihadjii Member Posts: 976 ✭✭
What brass would be best to form 6.5-06 brass from, 25-06, 270, or 30-06?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

Any of these will work except that you need to be aware that .270 Win. is a longer case in original form, therefore you have to adjust where the new shoulder starts when you neck it down, then trim to length.

I use .25-06 in most cases.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you nononsense. I looked for 6.5-06 brass at midway, and for 20 rounds, the price is $41.00. I thought uh.....no way am I paying that. I'll just reform my own.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some 256 Newton made from 57 NM. Read up on inside case neck reaming or outside neck turning plus annealing. I use the Lee lube applied lightly with a q-tip inside the neck and on the outside. If the brass isn't new I like the Redding sizing die wax on the outside.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Charliemeyer, I have a handy little gadget for annealing brass that I made from a deep well socket. I jb welded a 1/4 driver into the socket so it wouldn't leak water. Then inserted it into my bosch 90 degree angle driver. Put in a case, added water, and turned slowly while I heated it with my torch. When it just starts to start turning red, I take awa the heat, stop the driver and pull out case and do the next one. It might be redneck, but it works pretty darned good. I have an outside neck turner, but not inside. Honestly, I can't say that I noticed accuracy difference between turned and non turned brass, but then again, I've never been accused of being a great shooter, so I don't know wether I'm right or wrong.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hadjii,

This neck up from .25-06 is only a 0.007" difference, it's not a major procedure at all and usually doesn't require any other measures except to trim for case length. Fireforming straightens everything else out.

Best.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The neck up from 25-06 should be very easy. Don't anneal before you neck up or you will end up with some useless brass telescopes. I regularly neck up 300 Whby to 340 with no problems and in a single pass.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    25-06 brass has worked the best for me.