In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Primer question when reloading 22 Hornet

nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
I have been reloading for over 35 years. I always used small rifle primers in the 22 Hornet. Recently an old timer I know told me to try small pistol primers. Has anyone ever loaded small pistol primers in a Hornet ? I have some Rem 5-1/2 small Mag Pistol Primers I could use but want to see if anyone has ever done it first.
thoughts ???
Thanks - Pete
Abort Cuomo

Comments

• Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for it. The small case likes a bit milder primer.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So what rifle and what load? Mild loads should be just fine. However if you load near or above top end, primer failure is to be expected.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    every 22 Hornet I have had "between 6 & 12" of them shot better groups with small pistol primers
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I did load and shoot Hornady spitzers, Lilgun powder with the rem 5-1/2 (Magnum pistol primers). They grouped real tight at 50 yards. There was some black soot noticed around the spent primers. Do you think the Mag Pistol primers are too much or could it be something else ?

Ruger 77-22 Hornet
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hard to say. Pistol primers are softer and not really made for rifle pressures. Some powders don't respond well to mag primers and pressures can spike. Try your load with regular small rifle primers and compare the cases and the group.

How many loads on the brass? Do the primers seem to seat real easy, I use hand tools not a press for seating all my primers.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I loaded the same load with small rifle primers. No black around primer. It groups the same - at least I don't see a difference.
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me you are pushing the pistol primers to their limit. If your group size is the truly same, I'd be using the rifle primers.

You might try some non mag pistol primers and say a 10% charge reduction to see if group size improves.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello Just to explain why I suggested small pistol primers. INSTEAD of
    the small rifle primers may have two things that may cause larger groups #1 most likely the hornet is the smallest rifle cartridge anyone will reload as to the amount of powder it has to ignite and #2most rifles chambered in 22 Hornet have fairly weak hammer springs or other methods of firing the round this due to the small receivers that appear on 22Hornet rifles To use a small magnum pistol primer is NOTT in my opinion a Good option Because pistol primers have a thinner cup and will show pressure signs magnum is not what you want

This is not a high pressure round like 22/250 or 223 with heavy bullet

What you want is ignition strong enough to fire the round but not be to Strong for the limited amount of powder in this cartridge
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not telling you do do this but:

For a very accurate reload using reduced loads for squirrel h8nting with a 223 rifle at low velocity at 22 magnum velocities around 1700-1900 fps and sound level not any louder than a 22 mag rifle I had to go to small pistol primers 40-55 gr copper jacketed bullets lightly crimped and Accurate 5744 powder. Small pistol primers was ONE of the key ingredients to obtaining consistent accuracy when powder loads were reduced for the 223. The small pistol primer was not listed in the reloading manual, it's use came from testing for consistent accuracy.
    The unique and several other powders I tested produced erratic accuracy if the barrel was pointed up or down between shots due to the powder being against the primer or away from primer and magnum pistol and small rifle primers produced erratic accuracy also.

The main recipe for good accuracy was small pistol primers, 5744 powder and light crimp to the bullet so as to get the bullet pull more consistent. UNIQUE powder was very erratic and each shot shot it looked like burned dirt in the barrel. I labeled the Unique powder burned dirt.

But do not try this 5744 powder in a Hornet unless you consult alliant or find a 5744 load in a reloading manual for the Hornet.

I even use the 5744 for reduced loads in some big calibers at 30-30 velocities with good results but use standard rifle primers in the larger calibers. I emailed Alliant for some of the larger calibers reduced that was not listed in their reloading data for reduced loads or using accurate 5744 powder

What is also nice about reduced reloads is I can use my brass hulls safely for the reduced loads that have been reloaded too many times for High velocity loads. I label the hulls FOR REDUCED LOADS ONLY

Here is a picture of a 1 lb container of the 5744 that I use for reduced loads in several calibers just so as we are on the same page.
    .http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2183114906/accurate-5744-smokeless-powder

NOTE: I have never reloaded for a Hornet and have heard rumors they can be very fineky for consistent accuracy sometimes.
    But I've seen other guns and calibers also be very picky about consistent accuracy. What works in one may not work in another.

Stay safe when reloading and testing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The old 5744 was great stuff, that new stuff - not so much. Unique might be flammable dirt but it shoot in anything.
  • Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Cascade loves standard pistol primers, 13 grains of LilGun and just about any good 40 or 45 grain bullet. No crimp, just straight seat in a properly sized case. Won't say how small the 3 and 5 shot groups I get at 50 yards are. If you told me the same, I'd strongly suspect you of b.s.'ing or just reporting an occasional lucky group, and not the norm. The most accurate c.f. rifle I've ever owned.
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's my .02 worth. I always stay in my loading book specs. I feel safer that way.