In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Savage 99 30-30 load

TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭
Anyone got a 150gr bullet load they like in a 99?
I'm used to tubular magazine rifles and always loaded 170gr flat points

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Loaded a lot of 300 Savage. You might look in the contender single shot pistol section 30-30 data.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    Interesting. Loaded a lot of 300 Savage. You might look in the contender single shot pistol section 30-30 data.

good idea.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Hodgdon site has a whole slew of loads for the 160 grain FTX bullets, if that helps.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All of my reloading manuals have loads for 150 gr. pointed bullets. Also, according to the Speer #10 manual, the loads for a pointed or round nose same weight bullet are the same.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by navc130
    All of my reloading manuals have loads for 150 gr. pointed bullets. Also, according to the Speer #10 manual, the loads for a pointed or round nose same weight bullet are the same.

yes, I was hoping for some real world experience using 150gr bullets intended for 308 or 30-06 in a 30-30.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger

yes, I was hoping for some real world experience using 150gr bullets intended for 308 or 30-06 in a 30-30.

At 30-30 velocities, bullets designed for the 308w/30-06 will act more like a FMJ on game. Conversely, 30-30 bullets at 308w/30-06 velocities will act more like a varmint bullet on game.
    Either will work for punching holes in paper, but when the lead hits the meat........
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an uncle who only loaded 125 and 130 gr. for his savage 99.
    I used it for mule deer and it worked very well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you all, I will stick with old school bullets if I hunt with this rifle.
    For plinking, I have a bunch of 147gr fmj to load.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 4 bolt action .30-30's: A Remington 788, a Winchester 54, and two of the old pre-war Savage Super Sporters. So, there would be no problem with using pointed bullets. But, for some reason, spitzer bullets do not group as well as the traditional flat point or round nose. I've tried several brands and both boat tail and flat base but the old 170 and 150 Sierra flat points group better in my rifles--don't know why: slow twist, maybe. I'm sure some one else's .30-30 rifle will shoot sub 1" with spitzers but mine won't.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SoreShoulder
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954At 30-30 velocities, bullets designed for the 308w/30-06 will act more like a FMJ on game. Conversely, 30-30 bullets at 308w/30-06 velocities will act more like a varmint bullet on game.
    Either will work for punching holes in paper, but when the lead hits the meat........It doesn't really say anywhere how close to the design velocity you have to be though.

Maybe it would be safer to say that "at some point, you can push an expanding bullet too fast or too slow." but there's no easy telling how much above or below normal velocity you can be and still get good performance.

Those 150s might be designed to expand well for a 308 at 300 yards, and might be close enough to design velocity limits from a 30-30 at 75 yards

Manuals seem to list a lot of lower velocity loads for 30-40 and other calibers with no special mention of not using them for game.
    Thank you, good point.
    I will be shooting deer at 100 yards max.
    Any place with longer ranges I will use the 35 whelen.
    Boredom demands that I test some bullets, cool more range time.