In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40-82 Win reloading

longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bought a 1886 Win in 40-82 & looking for some reloading data for either IMR 3031, or Hodgdon H-4198 with a 265 gr gas checked cast lead bullet .409 diameter.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Lyman 49th has data for the 40-65 W and the 40-70 Sharps Straight. For both the lightest cast bullet is 385 (410660). They have loads for imr-4198 and 3031.

added I never really played with a 40-82, way back then most people just used 40-65 brass and loaded it as such. 41 cast pistol bullets sized properly could work well. I have nothing in 41 other than perhaps a bullet sizer. Google 40-82 WCF and some reloading data turns up.
  • Options
    richardaricharda Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't understand - he's trying to use approximately the original factory bullet weight, and there is no data for it? The heavier weight listed may not be stabilized by the slow factory twist designed for a 260 gr. bullet!
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think the problem is that real .40-82 repeaters have not been made in a long time and demand for ammo or data is small. Not even Phil Sharpe, writing pre WWII, covered it.

Mike Venturino's 'Shooting Lever Guns of the Old West' is said to include it. Ken Waters' 'Pet Loads' has a little information.
    A search will turn up some discussion;
    http://www.bing.com/search?q=loading+data+.40-82+Winchester&src=IE-TopResult&FORM=IETR02&conversationid=&pc=EUPP_

It is now used in single shots with heavier bullets (and faster twist) to give the performance of some of the old .40 and .44 buffalo rounds, but using a common rim diameter.
  • Options
    longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did some searching yesterday with very limited results. I checked that site & found some good advice. Thanks