In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Curious ... baked on goop on some reclaimed brass.

ArbyArby Member Posts: 668
As I was cleaning some reclaimed 45apc brass I ran across several pieces that had some kind of baked on goop that required brake cleaner on a rag to scrub off. You could obviously tell it was on the round before going into battery or on the slide taking the round into battery. The result was large smears of this stuff baked on the brass.

Does anyone have any idea what someone could be using that would cause this? I'm thinking that it might be some kind of grease/lube used on the slide. Once I scrubbed it off the brass looked fine and resized okay...just curious since I had never seen it before.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It would help if you posted some good pic's. First thought I have it's some "plastic" coating applied at the factory to help chambering. The 5.7 has that stuff on it - PIA.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No tumbler???????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    From Mobuck: No Tumbler?????

The stuff was on the brass after 6 hours in the tumbler
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Arby
    From Mobuck: No Tumbler?????

The stuff was on the brass after 6 hours in the tumbler

So, is the crud on the brass before tumbling?

Are you using any sort of polish on your tumbling media?

Years ago, I ended up with a build up of 'crud' on my target brass due to too much polish on the walnut shells.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Quote from iceracerx:

is the crud on the brass before tumbling?

Are you using any sort of polish on your tumbling media?

Years ago, I ended up with a build up of 'crud' on my target brass due to too much polish on the walnut shells.

I inspect all brass before tumbling and the goop smudge was on three cases...I figured that it would clean up in the tumbler...the only thing I put on the tumbler media (Corn Cob) is Cabela's Metallic Cartridge Polish per directions on the bottle...never had a problem with the thousands of cases I put through it.