In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

9MM and Red Dot

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
Hows does 4.3 grains of red dot behind a 124 grain lead round nose seated at 1.150 OL lenth sound to you guys? Hardness is about 16/18.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman 49th edition list a 120 gr cast with 3.0 to 3.9 grains of RedDot.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You might be better off using another powder. Alliant Powder doesn't offer any load data for Red Dot and ANY 9mm

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=4
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lyman shows a max load of 4.5 gr. 121 gr. lead bullet for only Winchester cases and primers. Other loads at 3.9 gr. max for that bullet weight. Start low and work up.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a lot of red dot and have always loaded every thing with it. Haven't loaded for years though. I have a lot of old manuals that lists loads of all kinds for all pistol shells. Problem is I don't remember what my 9mm loads was. I think I will load a hand full using 4 grains and see how the cases look after firing. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    TerantTerant Member Posts: 80
    edited November -1
    I load 4.0gr Red Dot 115gr FMJ with 1.13 OAL with great success. Very accurate (at least, more accurate than me) and my brass is very clean. This load has been very consistent. It cycles all of my 9mm pistols and my PCC.

My 47th Lyman book lists a 121gr (#2alloy) with starting charge of 3.8gr and max of 4.5gr.
    Start velocity 1020 and pressure of 26400.
    Max velocity 1130 and pressure of 32500.
    A country with uncontrolled borders is not a country, but an uncontrolled region.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Over the last decade I have fired thousands of 9mm loaded with a 124 grain plated bullet and 4.3 grains of Red Dot. Recently I have gone to 4.0 grains with no loss of accuracy or reliability.
  • Options
    noyljnoylj Member Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did you grab that load out of the air? Start loads for 124gn lead bullets range from 3.0-4.1gn, so that is where you start.
    Max loads range from 3.6-4.5gn, so that is where you work up to.
    Thus, you should start at say, 3.3, 3.5, 3.7gn and see what you get, and then, if there are NO pressure signs, move on to 3.9, 4.0, and 4.2gn.
    You certainly DO NOT start at a load that over max in four different manuals.
    PS: I don't get any decent accuracy in 9x19 with fast powders. Accuracy starts at about AA5 and best powder so far has been Power Pistol--if accuracy is the goal.
  • Options
    geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    Old 45th Lyman book shows:
    95 gr Jacket- 3.8 to 5.3
    121 gr cast - 3.6 to 5.0
    124 Jacket - 3.5 to 4.9
    158 cast - 3.0 to 3.6

I also am using up 30 lbs. of RD, and other then being dirty it shoots well for 9mm.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I quit trap shooting about 17 years ago I had about 12 pounds of RD left. Loaded a lot of 38 special and now loading for 9MM. 4.0 grains shows a slight cratering of the primers in my Ruger P89. Shot a mag full of three different factory loads and they looked the same. Guess I'm good to go with 4.0. My next option is 3.7 and may try it. Loading mainly for the grand sons to shoot.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rosie
    4.0 grains shows a slight cratering of the primers in my Ruger P89. Shot a mag full of three different factory loads and they looked the same. Guess I'm good to go with 4.0. My next option is 3.7 and may try it. Loading mainly for the grand sons to shoot.

I'd back it down, I would not want to explain to my kid why their child lost an eye due to my handloads blowing up a gun. Frankly with others using your loads I would back down until it cycles reliably and call it good. Although I prefer I'm the only ones using my reloads.