In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Powder for .45ACP

Before I started using a PACT digital scale I loaded mostly Unique and HS-6. Both were good and Unique was better price wise. My Grandson gave me the digital scale and I noticed that HS-6 worked better than the Unique the only difference between the two was the HS-6 power was ball shaped.

I was leery of the digital scale since I had always the RCBS powder throw but I have to admit the PACT Digital delivers the exact load every time....but I am still a bit * about powder loads and check every 10th weight with the balance scale...LOL

I load to 800fpc for 230gr ball and both HS-6 and Unique still give me the best accuracy of any other powders I've tried, or so it seems, assuming that I am skilled enough to tell the difference using a 1911 Mil Spec[:)]

I have been rolling my own for over 60 years and have confidence in anything I load but when it comes to personal protection I carry with factory ammo.

Comments

• Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like Unique, used it in 38 Special and 357 Mag, even 9mm I think. Not the highest velocity 357 Mag powder but meters nice and shoots well.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester 231,, 5.5 gr
    Winchester Autocomp ,, 6.5 gr
    Both work great, ball powders
  • Options
    PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am pretty close to 50 years reloading .45 ACP with Unique, both for semi-wadcutter cast lead bullet loads for bullseye competition, and for full power hardball practice loads. It has always been consistent to meter (like you, I check often on a balance scale, and I look at each case for height of powder before a bullet goes in), the cartridges shoot as accurately as I can hold and finesse the trigger, and so I never felt a need to look any further. I also, like you, carry factory loaded ammo for serious social purposes.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Unique for pistols and IMR3031 for rifles was the way to go for most of my life.
    Things have changed. Buy a new manual and check online often.
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use Unique and HS-6 my self. I have been reloading 45 years, and if something works good, I stay with it. Unique is very accurate powder for me, but it is a little dirtier to use than HS-6 it seems to me. Some of the Unique I use is over 20 years old but still works good, I herd that the newer Unique burns a little cleaner.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another old loader. I've used Unique in the .45 ACP as my go-to load since the early 70's and never had reason to question it. I have tried 800-X, Auto-Comp,Herco and 231 and always come back to Unique. I, also carry factory for social engagements, but I weigh every round before it goes in the magazine. I figure there can be a 1 to 1.5 grain variance in the weight of the case and the bullet so if a bullet is more than 3 grains heavier or lighter than the mean for a lot I pull it down and reuse the parts (even found one empty case once).
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I found BULLS EYE is my best powder for group size But I load for nra type pistol matches have loaded & shot over 350,000 rounds
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried Unique years ago, for light wadcutter target loads. Didn't care for it, primarily because it burns dirty. Leaving lots of residue on the pistol, and my hands.

Went to ball type powders, much cleaner. And easier measuring. Some powder measures I have used in the past. Have repeatability problems, with light target loads of flake type powder.

Settled on Accurate Arms #2, as my favorite. Have been using it for years, with good results.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger
    Unique for pistols and IMR3031 for rifles was the way to go for most of my life.

Just where do you get 3031? It has been my favorite for almost everything for 50 years but now it seems to be made of unobtainium.
    For light pistol loads I prefer Bullseye.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    We are heading for ten posts and rather than lock the thread, I'm going to kick it over to the reloading forum. The boys over there are always asking for more business.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those are great tried and true OLD powders. Do yourself a favor and try Hodgdon TiteGroup. Meters like water, burns clean, is not position sensitive and can be used with great results in almost all if not all pistol Target loads. The best is yet to come. It's cheaper than most other powders usually by a vouple dollars per pound. I shoot 200g bullets in my .45's and use 5.4g. very accurate. I've been slowly switching most of my calibers TARGET loads over to it.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Powder what ever you can find these days that will work. I shot Bullseye for years. I now have lots of 231, enough for many years. I try and buy larger can(s) like 5 or 8 pounds, or many 1# cans from the same lot. Primers only come in a 5000 count box.

Lyman 452370 cast hard and sized to .452 with 50/50 alox/beeswax.
    I'd look at a taper crimp die. I hand scrape every primer pocket every time. I hand seat every primer with my Lyman 310 tong tool set - has the best feel for seating primers of anything I have ever used.

Generally I take as much care in casting, sizing, loading as I do in aiming and trigger control. Spray and pray is for folks that don't pack the ammo on their back or that aren't buying it with their money.

Learn to shoot with a good accurate pistol. As a kid I shot many 1000's of rounds threw dad's rat grade 1911 and never hit much. Much later I bought a good shooter that hit where I was actually pointing. Didn't take long to learn to shoot a pistol. The funny part is, I have dad's wore out rat grade 1911 and I can now do "OK" work with it, because I can shoot a pistol.

I'm down to 30# of 3031. I like it much better than H4895 when I have to pay full price, but I'd gladly make do with H stuff at $2/#.

Eye is doing great after surgery. Took the HD Military out for therapy a few days ago. I can see the pistol sights just fine. Beer cans at 50 yards were dancing. Need to build up arm strength to hold out a pistol.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BHAVIN
    Those are great tried and true OLD powders. Do yourself a favor and try Hodgdon TiteGroup. Meters like water, burns clean, is not position sensitive and can be used with great results in almost all if not all pistol Target loads. The best is yet to come. It's cheaper than most other powders usually by a vouple dollars per pound. I shoot 200g bullets in my .45's and use 5.4g. very accurate. I've been slowly switching most of my calibers TARGET loads over to it.

My vote also. Cheap, available and clean. Best for me as I load ALL my target loads with Titegroup is that it not position sensitive. So it works the same in a 380 as it does in a 45 Colt.
  • Options
    reload999reload999 Member Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullseye for me in .45 ACP
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Agree 100%, I LOVE Unique powder, it has served well for 45 years or more but Tite group shoots a LOT cleaner, meters perfectly and is cheaper per pound.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Have you guys found Titegroup to burn your brass? I don't mind it on my 9mm but am a bit picky on my 38 & 357 brass. It is super clean but that brass is hot if you pick it up quick.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Burning issues? Are you talking about powder discoloration at the case mouth?
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Arby, good luck with your PACT scale; the one I've used for the last 23 years started giving bizarre readings, and like an idiot, I sent it to PACT.
    I was informed that they no longer make parts for it, and that I had reached the "limit" of their "limited lifetime warranty".
    But they wanted $25 to hang on to it to see if they had any parts in the back.
    I just hope their Chronographs last longer.
    I can't hit anything with any 1911-style .45, so I got a Sarsilmaz .45 through CDNN that shoots very well. I load lots of 185gr SWC for it, and the best powder for that is 5.7gr of PB.
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    Arby, good luck with your PACT scale; the one I've used for the last 23 years started giving bizarre readings, and like an idiot, I sent it to PACT.
    I was informed that they no longer make parts for it, and that I had reached the "limit" of their "limited lifetime warranty".
    But they wanted $25 to hang on to it to see if they had any parts in the back.
    I just hope their Chronographs last longer.
    I can't hit anything with any 1911-style .45, so I got a Sarsilmaz .45 through CDNN that shoots very well. I load lots of 185gr SWC for it, and the best powder for that is 5.7gr of PB.

Suggestion: Take the 1911 that you can't hit anything with and shoot over your PACT chrono. Maybe you will get lucky and hit the chrono. PACT scales are junk also. I have one that didn't read properly. I sent it to pact and they sent it back in the same condition............ with a Ten dollar charge.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gruntled
    quote:Originally posted by Tflogger

Just where do you get 3031? It has been my favorite for almost everything for 50 years but now it seems to be made of unobtainium.
    For light pistol loads I prefer Bullseye.

It shows up here (western ny) now and again. I buy it when I see it.
    I MR 4350 is my 30-40,303 brit and 30-06 powder now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Burning issues? Are you talking about powder discoloration at the case mouth?

Discoloration of the brass.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    another vote for bullseye and unique
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I think that Red Dot is an underrated powder for the .45. Some of my best targets were shot with it, and a 230 gr bullet. Bullseye is of course a great timeless powder.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I think that Red Dot is an underrated powder for the .45. Some of my best targets were shot with it, and a 230 gr bullet. Bullseye is of course a great timeless powder.

JOHNATHAN, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN? Drop me an email, I hope things are well for you.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot away a couple of gallon jugs of pink dot (so old the red dots were pink) along with several shoe boxes full of mystery large something primers and cast Lyman 452374 230 grain bullets. That was almost free shooting for a kid - too bad back then I couldn't really hit anything with a handgun.
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    Lyman 452460 cast from wheel weights and powdercoated followed by a dose of Unique works great!

Sure lays the smack down on steel from a 6.5 barreled S&W 25-2![:)]