In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

243 brass

victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
I am new to the 243. I have RP, Win and FC brass. Which would you use for consistent reloads. Will be using 4064 & 100 gr bullets.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,790 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    R-P and Federal have worked well for me. I'd be looking at a slower powder for top end loads w/100 grainers.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    victorj19,

quote:I have RP, Win and FC brass.

Hopefully, this is new brass. I would ignore Federal as being too soft for a longer life span. R-P or Winchester should last you a good long while. Be sure to sort both brands as some folks are reporting some vagaries with the newer manufacturer runs.

The very best buy these days is the Lapua brass and yes, it's more expensive.

I agree that the IMR-4064 is too fast for this combination, by a substantial amount. For use with 100-grain hunting style bullets and standard magazine OAL, I would suggest Re-23 as being the overall best choice for lower pressure curve, velocity and accuracy. The slightly longer list of choices will include:

H-4831sc
    IMR-7828SSC
    Norma MRP (highest velocity with a slightly higher pressure curve)

Enjoy the process!

Best.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good results with both Federal and Winchester in my old M-70 Varmint. Keep the brands separate for load consistency. I like IMR 4320 and Re-19. I also anneal the necks every 5th loading and trim as needed for length.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I did not see your model of gun, but some 243's just don't like a 100 gr bullet for accuracy. (and IMR4064 may not produce good consistent groups either)

If your gun is not grouping consistent you might try 85 gr bullets with the 4064 and if still not satisfied try H4350 with the 85 gr bullets.
    I hunt with and reload for 243's and only have one rifle that really likes 100 gr bullets and it's a low velocity load. Most of mine like the 85 gr bullets and H4350.

About your brass. If you will try neck sizing your brass it will last longer and keep a record and give it a toss after it need 3 TRIMMINGS.
    (or use this brass for a reduced loads using 5744 powder for kids plinking, practice, etc)Reduced loads 243 brass will normally last almost forever)

I can get good accuracy out of a hunting rifle (one inch groups or less at 100 yards) by deburring the brass primer pockets internally and separating the brass by weight, not over 8 grains difference in the weight of a hull even though it's mixed by manufacturer, Remington, Winchester, etc. Winchester brass works ok for me by neck sizing and usually more readily available in this area.
    Even using the same name brand brass can produce mixed accuracy results if you do not watch the weight of the brass.
    I've proven on paper several times to guys that mixed up brass by weight can really make a normally very accurate rifle look very bad on paper.
    If you neck size 243 brass be sure and check your loads before just going hunting to make sure all chamber ok. Some 243 chambers do not like neck sizing only after 2 firings and won't chamber easily. Not a good thing having a round stuck in the chamber and it won't eject or close up on opening morning of deer season.
    If your gun is not a bolt action 243 you MIGHT need to full length size every time and might have to get a small base sizer die if your reloads are fitting too tight.(or your have a automatic)

Stay safe![;)]