In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7mm RUM

So, the younger son showed up with 1 lb each of Retumbo and Re-22 and some 140 gr Tipped TSXs...I never got around to reloading for MY 7mm ultra-mag, so now I'm in need of a favorite recipe........This is for a Rem model 700 in like new condition...
Regarding the Barnes TSXs, I've heard that they MUST be loaded anywhere from .020" to .050" off the lands to expect ANY kind of accuracy.....??
I had no say in the powder, so we'll just have to work with what he has, although there IS a load right there on the Retumbo container label....
Comments?
Favorite load/specs with these components?

Edit: turns out, he bought 140 gr TTSXs.........

I should add that I know 140 gr is very light for this chambering; the main goal at this point is for him to get more trigger time on this rifle, and hopefully come up witih a decent whitetail load for 5oo yds and less.....

Thanks in advance for whatever searching y'all may save me!

Comments

• bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Retumbo is definitely MAG powder. H-1000 is my go to for my Model 700 7mm Rem Mag when loading 162gr Hornady's.

Buddy of mine loads 93.5gr Retumbo in his Tikka for 150gr Noslers.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

quote:I had no say in the powder, so we'll just have to work with what he has, although there IS a load right there on the Retumbo container label....
    Comments?

There is ALWAYS a choice especially when the powders may not be suitable for a particular cartridge/bullet combination. However, in this situation you are safe with the Retumbo.

I use 93 gr. for the 140 class Barnes bullets. My OAL os 3.600" as opposed to Hodgdon's 3.560". Hodgdon states that you can go up to 96.5 gr. but I think that's a little stout for some... Testing with a load ladder will confirm the accuracy range that your rifle seems to like.

Re-22 is way too fast for this cartridge if you intend to keep any semblance of a nearly full case.

Re-33 might give you another slow powder to try since Re-25 is too fast also. I haven't had time to get Re-33 tested in the 7mm RUM yet but it's on the list.

Some of the 50 BMG powders will be worth a look as well.

Best.
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input, Nononsense!

I haven't found the time to look up any loads in my books yet, so I've NO idea where the "kid" came up with Re-22, but I'll keep what you said in mind for sure!
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wanted man,

Two of the less expensive powders to use for cartridges of this capacity are:

WC867

WC872

Both are available through Widener's at very reasonable prices. Be aware that shipping times are on a delay for most internet shippers due to volume.

These powders will not yield the highest velocities per grain but they are inexpensive and do perform well in my opinion. The biggest limiter to velocity with cases having large capacity is the length of the barrel.

A slightly compressed load using your bullet choicer above should get you 3100 FPS approximately at moderate pressure.

Heavier bullets improve the performance and make for a better long range cartridge. I'm using the 168 gr. Berger and JLK and some 180 gr. Bergers.

Best.
    edited November -1
    WC867

WC872

Got it...I'll keep those in mind as well, Nononsense
    The barrel is a factory 26" and pencil thin, so I expect to see some P.O.I. change(s) as the barrel heats. The first goal is to establish a decent whitetail load for this rifle, hence the 140 gr bullets (his words, not mine)..At any rate, I suspect that loading "down" the 7MM RUM may turn out to be as challenging as loading for top-end, maybe more so

Thanks again!
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never could get the the loading down thing. I would be looking for maximum performance out of that type of cartridge. Stoke that baby with Retumbo or H1000 and go slay giants.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RobOz
    I never could get the the loading down thing. I would be looking for maximum performance out of that type of cartridge. Stoke that baby with Retumbo or H1000 and go slay giants.

I agree with you RobOz, but it's HIS gun and he's MY kid, so.....
  • 260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    100.5 gr retumbo
    120 NOSLER BT
    FEDERAL GM 215 PRIMER
    =3700 FPS
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good results in the 300 RUM with Magnum and 7828sc, if you start experimenting