In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

baked powder coated bullets

sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
I am pretty new to reloading, I was looking at cast 44mag bullets and almost everyone has the "new" baked on powder coat finish that the coating is the lube and says the lead bullet itself never touches the barrel so no leading,,does this work or is it all hype ? They only cost about $10 more per 500 on most web sites I looked at,,if it eliminates all leading,,its worth 10bucks. link to one i was looking at.

http://www.acmebullet.com/bullets-reloading-brass/44-CAL-Lead-Cast-Bullets?product_id=437

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They might work. I hard cast my own Lyman 429421 245 grain bullets sized to .431 and lubed with 50/50 alox/beeswax. I drive them with full loads of BlueDot without leading after the 10 5/8" barrels on my 29's were polished in. Shooter's Choice with a tight patch would strip out length's of lead from the rifling. After like 500 rounds they quit leading.

I use a Saeco 240 grain round nose in the Winchester 94 AE also in 44 mag. Feeds nice and the rifle holds one extra round over the Lyman bullet.

In pistols I have never needed gas checks. Rifles can benefit from them, but I usually just down load until I can run them barefoot without loading issues. Proper lube and sizing helps a lot. A polished bore is good - J&B's bore paste is what I use.

Way back in the day I made half jacketed bullets in 30, 38, 44, and 45 using a CH swagging press that I still have. Harder to find the cups and wire for it. I have several adjustable core molds and have considered making cups along the lines of these gas check makers.
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought some Missouri Bullet Company .41 caliber 215gr Trooper bullets with their coating. Makes them sort of a golden color rather than the usual gray lead, so it looks good loaded in shiny new brass. I must say it looks odd loading a bullet with lubrication grooves...with no lube in them.

I fired 50 through a new-to-me Redhawk 7.5" after charging the new Starline cases with 8.3 gr Unique and a WLP primer.

No leading was seen, the loads shot very softly through the gun, and they were pretty darn accurate. So far I'll call the coated bullets a winner.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sharpshooter039,

This is from a post I wrote in 2010:

ARES Pu?k?rska Diel#328;a, a Slovakian bullet-maker, has come up with a new colorized bullet coating for cast lead bullets. This coating provides a surface barrier so that the lead does not contact the rifling in the barrel. In addition, no bullet lube is required and the colored coating reduces friction. As explained on the Wieder-Lader.de website, ?Please take into consideration that ARES Colored Bullets are more quick than copper plated/FMJ bullets. If you used to [shoot] copper plated/FMJ bullets, please start reloading Colored Bullets (CB) with approx. 5% less powder and adjust the final quantity of powder on basis of your own speed measurements. CBs keep the barrel clean. CBs are ready for reloading, i.e. it is not necessary to grease CBs.?

colorbullets02.jpg

colorbullets03.jpg

Best.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    powder coated bullets work as well as anything I have shot in recent years .No messy alox lube no leading and quick cleanup .Added plus is they can be pushed a good bit faster than lubed bullets What's not to like ?
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those bullets look like candy...wonder how long before someone cracks a molar chomping on one thinking it is a piece from the jar [:o)].
  • Options
    M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    I powdercoat my cast bullets, everything from plain base .45acp, .357sig, .357mag, .44mag, 9mm, .38spc to gas checked powdercoated full velocity 61gr cast 5.56.

Works great for me![:)][;)]
  • Options
    e8gme8gm Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been powder coating 45, 9mm, 38/357 and 30/30 bullets for several years. As mentioned above, no messy lube to clog dies and get on your fingers, you can actually push em faster than naked lead without leading the barrel and I've seen no difference in barrel wear. It's all I shoot nowadays.

Very easy process if you cast your own bullets. Check out castbullits.com to see how to do it yourself.
  • Options
    bigoutsidebigoutside Member Posts: 19,443
    edited November -1
    I've been using "blue bullets" for several years now. Far superior in my usage to the "copper plated" bullets.

Not to be confused with jacketed bullets.

Very pleased with the results. With the harder alloys, I tend to load on the hot side. (after appropriate run up through all the various load data)
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that a bunch of us started thinking about these processes a few years ago when John Lazzeroni brought out his LazerHead bullets for rifles. The monometallic bullets were intentionally made undersize so that a proprietary coating of NP3 could be applied which brought them up to size.

http://www.lazzeroni.com/ct_lazerhead.htm

These are a tad expensive until you start pricing them against custom lathe turned bullets and Nosler of course. But they reduce the operating pressure and make clean-up much easier.

Best.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, the various technologies of coating and plating are sure interesting reading on cold winter nights. Wonder how many will stand the test of time.

On of my favorite quotes from a now gone old timer was "cartridge guns are just a passing fancy"
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I ended up getting 500 from Bayou Bullets,, Owner is Donnie Miculek , Jerry's brother,,if anyone should know bullets that Family should. I have loaded 200 but have not had a chance to try them yet.
  • Options
    DBMJR1DBMJR1 Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sharpshooter039
    I ended up getting 500 from Bayou Bullets,, Owner is Donnie Miculek , Jerry's brother,,if anyone should know bullets that Family should. I have loaded 200 but have not had a chance to try them yet.

Donnie started the company, but he sold it over a year ago. New owner is a friend of Donnie's, Dennis. Dennis is a stand up guy, when he's not getting run over on his Harley.

Seriously, Great guys to do business with. Fantastic comapny. All of the employees are super nice.

I shoot their bullets in 9mm, .38, .357, .45acp, .45 Colt, and .30 Carbine.

I tried to get Donnie to produce .32 caliber bullets, but cost/demand just wasn't there.