.

.357 sig powder choices

Anyone else here load .357 sig? What is your go to powder? I have read Longshot is a winner, but have not tried it yet.

I use AA#9 and Power Pistol.

AA#9 has the benefit of preventing bullet setback when using a charge of 13gr with a 125gr gold dot. I like that because setback with the .357 sig is bad, you can blow up your barrel - ask me how I know!

Now Power Pistol is a different beast all together in .357sig. If you want magnum power in .357sig this is the powder for you![:)]

I load 8.5gr of Power Pistol over 125gr gold dots. This load has the WOW factor you expect out of a magnum cartridge.[:)]

I have a Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf .357sig barrel, it is a very accurate shooter and powerful to boot.

I like having 14 rounds of magnum power .357sig and two 15 round spare magazines for one of my CCW choices. [8D]

Comments

  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Way back when, in the late 90's I got my first .357 Sig, a P-229 that I carried for duty and still use today. My first service level load was OLD Blue Dot, but then they changed the formula and I scrambled around trying quite a few powders. I have settled on Power Pistol as it gives excellent velocity with the 125 grain Sierra/Sig V-Crown. For plinking and practice I use Gil Berry's 125 thick plated flat nose. I use these loads in both my P-229 and P-239 Sigs and I load at Hodgdon's listed max for the 125 grain.
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 62fuelie
    Way back when, in the late 90's I got my first .357 Sig, a P-229 that I carried for duty and still use today. My first service level load was OLD Blue Dot, but then they changed the formula and I scrambled around trying quite a few powders. I have settled on Power Pistol as it gives excellent velocity with the 125 grain Sierra/Sig V-Crown. For plinking and practice I use Gil Berry's 125 thick plated flat nose. I use these loads in both my P-229 and P-239 Sigs and I load at Hodgdon's listed max for the 125 grain.


    Thanks much, I will have to take a look at those Berry's 125gr plated bullets.

    I do load my own powder coated cast bullets for .357sig. I use the Lee .358-125-RF six cavity mold. I size them down to .356 after powder coating. Good accurate bullet that even has a crimp groove that works for .357sig. I have loaded these over 8gr of Power Pistol, but they are hot, very flat primers and some cratering. For practice ammo I prefer to use 12gr AA#9 with these cast bullets.
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was just at the Mesa AZ BassPro earlier today. Reasonable selection of primers and bullets, powder not so much. Might have been 2 #'s of powder that could work in a pistol.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    8gr's of Unique and 125gr Montana Gold J.H.P. from this guy right here on the auction side , great plinking ammo at a very fair price .

    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/722667193

    Shooting them out of a Glock 31C .
  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 375H&H
    8gr's of Unique and 125gr Montana Gold J.H.P. from this guy right here on the auction side , great plinking ammo at a very fair price .

    https://www.GunBroker.com/item/722667193

    Shooting them out of a Glock 31C .



    Thanks![:)]
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like AA#5 with 125gr bullets. 9gr will push them almost 1300 fps in my G32 it great plinking load.

    I use AA#5 is almost every pistol cartridge I reload for (38spl-44mag). Its a great powder very consistent and most of all it meters great in my 550B, its my goto powder when loading lead bullets for range fun.

    I think AA#9 would be a bit slow but it should work fine. If it was me I think I would bump down to #7 and give that a try. Either will be a great powder and the AA powders are so clean burning and consistent.

    I have heard the same thing about Longshot but its hard for me to find it here.
    RLTW

  • M1A762M1A762 Member Posts: 3,426
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I like AA#5 with 125gr bullets. 9gr will push them almost 1300 fps in my G32 it great plinking load.

    I use AA#5 is almost every pistol cartridge I reload for (38spl-44mag). Its a great powder very consistent and most of all it meters great in my 550B, its my goto powder when loading lead bullets for range fun.

    I think AA#9 would be a bit slow but it should work fine. If it was me I think I would bump down to #7 and give that a try. Either will be a great powder and the AA powders are so clean burning and consistent.

    I have heard the same thing about Longshot but its hard for me to find it here.




    Give AA#9 a try. 13gr of AA#9 under a 125gr bullet has a good thump![:)]

    I have a pound or two of AA#5, I will have to try it out for .357 sig plinking ammo.

    I loaded a few hundred 125gr gold dots over 8.5gr Power Pistol last week, I use these for my carry ammo in my G23 with .357 sig conversion barrel. These really are magnum like in recoil and muzzle blast![:)]

    I will have to chrono these loads when the weather allows in a few months, I don't think the wife would understand why I need to check .357sig velocities in the basement![:D]
Sign In or Register to comment.