In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

reloading question

47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
what can i do to make my loads more accurate? have been thinking about turning the necks,using a neck bushing die,micrometer seating die an not crimping the case. am i on the right track or just wasting money

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I've thought about getting reloading equipment for my .357, but I'm unsure on what all I'm going to need. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie?
    GH1[:)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    As many of you know I have recently started reloading. I have learned alot of different things by reading around on the internet and watching youtube videos. I have one question that i can not find an answer to, and i was wondering if you guys could help me. I have a Lee Colet Dye set for .270 WIN and when i'm done seating the bullet, i can easily push the bullet down inside the case (when i say "easy" i mean with like less than 2 lbs of force). Is this normal?!? I want to get a factory crimp dye, but i dont have any bullets with a cannelure.
    Can you only crimp bullets with a cannelure?? I'm thinking about getting the lee factory crimp dye. But i'm wondering if this will solve my problem.

Thanks for any advice.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Helped Dad reload many years ago and got myself into it a few years ago with a mentor to bring me up to date. I load or will be loading 22 Hornet, 222, 223, 7mm TCU, 308, 30-06, and 7mm Mag.

I have a Sierra 3rd and 10th, Hornady 7th, Speer 10th, and Lyman 46th.

Are there any I don't have that I should get?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am interested in reloading 9, 40, 45 pistol rounds and 270, 30-06, 7 Mag and 30-30. What would be the best powder. Also which takes small and large primers.

Also about how many 45 rounds would be in 1 pound of powder.

Also about how many 7 Mag rounds would be in a pound of powder.

Thanks David
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I am new to reloading:

I was full length resizing and decapping some .223 once fired brass.
    I had previously cleaned it in stainless steel media.
    I broke a decapping pin and thought maybe i had a crimped in primer? So i took a look at the case and this was not the case. so i replaced the pin and continued. About a dozen cases later same thing happens. So i look in the case and i see 2-3 stainless pins wedged in the bottom of the case. Heres the question: 1. What are the ramifications of the pins remaining in the case(I.E. missed when i decapped the case)2.Has anybody else had this issue? If so what is the remedy for correcting this...short of the obvious answer which is visually inspect every case or stop using S.S. media. Thanks for you help.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The ABCs of Reloading is a great reference-not only for new folks, but one you will keep around. Check on line at alibris.com as well as amazon. A copy from a couple of years back is dirt cheap.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My go to is "Modern Reloading", by Richard Lee. Be sure and get the first edition, if possible. Circa 2001. Unfortunately the latter editions, have been neutered by the lawyers.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's sort of a trade off new powders are found in new books, but new books often drop old or odd ball cartridges like the Hornet. There are some free online data places.

Youtube has tons of vids, some are good and you might even learn something new and useful.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have acquired many reloading books over the years. the book Modern Reloading by richard lee is very good and very comprehensive. i have read it several times and still find things to learn in it. i also like my Lyman 49th edition reloading handbook quite well.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by the way my CZ hornet shoots very well with 12.4gr Lil Gun with either a 40 or 45 gr sierra. slightly compressed load
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I really like HORNET and K hornet i have found that both Shoot smaller groups if one use the small pistol primers rather than small rifle primers I have both love them for ground HOGS
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are new to reloading, I'd look at Youtube videos and learn about different techniques. There's a lot there and you can specify the cartridge you're interested in reloading and watch the video. Most of my reloading I learned from books which I still use after 60 years of reloading - obviously newer edition books with the old ones. I've since evolved into basically a hunter who reloads his cartridges every season like a precision match/bench-rest shooter-reloader.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Manuals are good to tell you HOW to reload, you don't have to have the latest edition.

There is a lot of good information on youtube. There is a lot of crap. I think you should confirm Bubba's Blasting Bullets video with reputably published instructional material.

Current powders and loads are available in FREE literature or the WWW.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. !!
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The biggest thing I find with the reloading mauals is the START point. Not all rifles will make it to the max with the powder loads they give. Some rifles will go well beyond what they list as a maximum.

But, you need to know your rifle and what is going on with the cartridge during the firing process.

A good example is RE-17. It uses a different method than most older powders to integrate the burn retardant. Often times people use the "look for signs of pressure" with it. In the case of RE-17 and IMR 8208 XBR stay within the book limits.

If you start to see erratic velocities you are already over the limit. You will see those velocities before you see pressure signs on your case.
  • Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by perry shooter
    I really like HORNET and K hornet i have found that both Shoot smaller groups if one use the small pistol primers rather than small rifle primers I have both love them for ground HOGS

Definitely the small pistol primers. You told me about this a few years back, when I was having trouble reloading for the Hornet. Now it is my favorite caliber to reload and shoot. Great advice Perry. Oak
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a chronograph ,some of the best money you will ever spend if you want to load to the calibers full potential in your individual gun.Load development is much easier when you can see in real terms just what each additional grain or two of powder does in regard to speed . welcome back to the addiction
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....