In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

expected velocity question

kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
30-06...168gr ballistic silver tip over 50 grains of varget...

lets say its a typical day at 72degrees F, at sealevel, with a 20 inch barrel....what kind of velocity do you think we are looking at here?

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The online Hodgdon data says 50.5 gr of Varget under a 168 gr Hornady BTHP in a 24" barrel is 2859 fps with 49,200 CUP. I'd guess about 2700 fps. I haven't ever used Varget so it's just a guess.

http://www.*/2012/02/16/the-myth-of-barrel-length-and-velocity-loss/

Maybe 2800 is a better guess. Rifles are individuals the results can vary quite a bit with a load.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    keep in mind that individual rifles can vary considerably from 'published' data. some as much as 20%. (only your coronograph knows for sure)
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of guess-work involved in this answer, but a guess is what you're asking for, so here goes: I haven't used Varget in .30/06, either but have used a LOT of IMR4895. Hodgdon data indicates the burn rate of IMR4895 & Varget are very similar. I also have some .30/06 short barreled rifles. I do a lot of shooting over chronographs. After checking my notes, my best guess would be 2650 fps or there abouts. I'll check your load in a 20" .30/06 one of these days, but by then your post will have been long gone.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With "pretty good" self contained chronographs costing around $100, there's really no need for guess work.