In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading 38 special question

RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
Been reloading for years but never loaded 38 special. Found a load on internet of 4 grains red dot behind a 124 grain hard lead round nose bullet. Loaded a couple of dozen and shot them through one of my 357 magnums. I see no signs of excessive pressure at all. What I do see is the dang case is half full of air. Any danger here? These are being reloaded for grand sons to shoot. Reason for red dot is I have over 8 pounds of it and have loaded every thing with it before. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never loaded 124 gr, usually 158 gr for me. Don't have my books here but Lyman's cast bullet handbook will have data or the newer ones.

The danger is a double charge can fit in the case, I use a loading block and compare the level in each case with good lighting.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/Powder.aspx?powderid=4
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That load is safe in any .357 revolver. Likely safe in any steel frame .38 also. I use the identical load (4.0 Red Dot and 124 grain bullet) for my 9mm pistols.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you were loading black powder, airspace would be a major problem. With smokeless, not a problem. Some of my Bullseye loads are tiny.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the big flaky Red Dot is taking up 1/2 the case, your 124 grain bullet will be taking up 1/2 of the other 1/2, or your case is only 1/4 air.

As already posted - no problem.

You might want to think about ditching the 124 grain-ers and going with 158 grain SWC. You can then drop the charge to 3.4 grains. (per Alliant)

EDIT: Alliant shows a 38 Spl 'Cowboy' load of 4.6 grains of Red Dot under a 124 grain RNFP (round nose flat point makes me scratch my head a bit), so your 4.0 load is a bit more than 10% under charged.
  • Options
    243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a revolver guy. I like to use TITEGROUP. It is not position sensitive if you're worried about that. I shoot a lot of 44 spl. and a TON of 45 colt and those are pretty big cases compared to 38 Spl. Cheap and clean also. Check the reviews.The RED DOT load is ok, shoot it and have fun.
    Also agree with Ice on going with 158 gr SWC. Another fun thing to do is use TRAILBOSS. Ya' wanna fill the case.... Have at it!
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hope I never wind up next to you on a range if you use recipes off the internet! You might get lucky this time, but lookout next time. Anyone that doesnt use manuals for recipes is asking for problems.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JimmyJack
    Hope I never wind up next to you on a range if you use recipes off the internet! You might get lucky this time, but lookout next time. Anyone that doesnt use manuals for recipes is asking for problems.

Not so much today, books are going the way of the Linotype machine. All powder manufacturers list powders an charge weights on the internet. His load is fine and I like the way red Dot smells when it is fired in pistols. I too burned up an eight pounder in 38/357 and 45ACP loads. If Tite Group did not mimic Bullseye loads (low charge weights and low cost) and burn so dang clean I would still be buying 8 pounders of red dot for pistol loading.