In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Black powder in 38 Special

KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
Just curious if any of you occasionally shoot black powder in your 38 specials. What is your pet loads, pluses and minuses, cleaning tips, etc.

Been thinking of getting a can of black powder to play with and wondering if its worth it.

Comments

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 38SP started life at the end of the black powder period. You CAN load most any straight walled case with BP BUT the case must be full.

No air space in the case, the volume must be occupied by powder, wadding, or bullet.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure you can. I doubt you can get the original 21.5 grains of black in a modern solid head case, but you can fill 'em up with whatever they will hold. I would use as much as seating the bullet would compress without distorting the bullet. I would also use bullets with black powder lube like SPG or one of several home brews.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cleaning? Lots and lots of HOT water and soap. Think the kitchen sink.

Then thoroughly dry (as in absolutely, positively DRY) and lubricate.

Easy to do on a Colt Navy/Army/etc because the barrel and cylinder are all that need the bath and both can be removed from the frame.

A modern revolver? I'd have 2nd thoughts.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried it in a 38 but I can tell you a full charge of 4Fg in either 44 Mag or 45 Colt is a respectable load. Same for 45-70 or a 458 using 3Fg, big bullets help. +1 for correct lube and proper cleaning.
  • Options
    KronyKrony Member Posts: 303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by iceracerx
    Cleaning? Lots and lots of HOT water and soap. Think the kitchen sink.

Then thoroughly dry (as in absolutely, positively DRY) and lubricate.

Easy to do on a Colt Navy/Army/etc because the barrel and cylinder are all that need the bath and both can be removed from the frame.

A modern revolver? I'd have 2nd thoughts.

Even on my 'beater' S&W Model 19 I'd have some serious pause about putting it in the sink. May take a full can of RemOil to get the soot out of it... I guess if boredom gets to me I may just have to get a black powder revolver.
  • Options
    62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use enough HOT water and soap on the entire gun, you will need some kind of small stainer to hold the various internal lockwork parts as powder back-blast can get inside the side plate, and work it and soak it long enough for the metal to absorb the heat it will dry itself with the residual heat. Then oil it with a good quality preservative/lubricant.

As an aside, I have tried, but I can't see the attraction of firing a lower powered round which will cause so much work, just because it can be done. Probably just getting lazy in my old age.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seems kind of stupid to me?