In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

popping primers

kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
I have reloaded for over 30 years and have never run into this. today I had 3 primers pop out of the pocket when fired. all components are new and the charge is less than max by .3 grains. this is only happening in one rifle but not every shot. the rifle is a model 70 black shadow in 270win. the load is 130 barnes tsx the charge is 55.7 gr of IMR 4350, Winchester brass and wlrm primers. I weigh every charge when loading and keep my area tidy. I think the brass is bad but would like some input

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0.3 grains under max might not be enough for your rifle using those components. It's summer, hot ammo builds more pressure. Back in the day, I had winter loads that would loosen primers if shot in the summer or held in a hot chamber too long before firing.

Maybe your some of the bullets are pulling out a little from recoil, and not getting enough room to jump to the rifling.

Did the primers go in easily? Hard to tell with a press, that's why I prime everything with a Lyman 310 tool - best "feel" I have ever used.

The last Win and Rem brass I bought wasn't very good.
  • Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those solid bullets need more jump to the rifling than lead core.
    What's yours?

Is that the Barnes maximum - 0.3 gr? Which is insignificant, anyhow, only half a percentage point where gun and powder variation can be more.
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    0.3 grains below max??? That's too close to be using in multiple rifles w/o testing in all.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm unsure of what you mean by "pop out of the pocket". Do your primers back out of the case, that is, protrude from the case, or do the primers actually fall out of the case on extracting? If they protrude, it's a headspace problem, either the rifle or the brass. If the primers fall out, it's an over-load in that rifle, or possibly soft brass.

A couple of my .270's show over-load signs with loads that are in hand loader book specs and show no over pressure signs in my other rifles. I have two .30/06's that are that way, too, so apparently it's not unusual. It proves the rule that each rifle is a law unto itself.
  • 243winxb243winxb Member Posts: 264 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hodgdon date maximum is 55 grs. You load is over maximum

Barnes maximum is 54.5 grs
    [url] https://saami.org [/url]
  • navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree, that load is over maximum in two manuals I checked. Suggest you check two or three CURRENT reloading manuals.
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    barnes max is 56 gr IMR 4350
  • kumatekumate Member Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1