In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Oregon Trail bullets

dwpmusicdwpmusic Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
I'm new to this forum but not new to GunBroker. I very recently got interested in reloading .44spl/mag and decided to order some Oregon Trail bullets. I'd very much like some input on any barrel leading that you have experienced. Some claim none, others claim a lot. I'm using (for my first load) 200gr SNFP over about 5.2gr Win231 shooting an S&W 629-4. Any input would be appreciated.

Comments

• MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,961 ******
    edited November -1
    231 is fine for lighter loads, for heavey loads something 'slower' like 4227 or 2400
  • dwpmusicdwpmusic Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wonder what lube they are using these days? Some manufactures use the 'Rooster Red' crap that make the bullets really nice to handle but doesn't do squat for leading. I mostly just use the old 50/50 Alox/Beeswax for the last 50 plus years of bullet casting.

During break in all my 29's and the 629 leaded with hard cast bullets. By 500 rounds they were over it. You could shoot a few boxes of jacketed bullets to iron in the bore faster. I like Shooter's Choice and a really tight patch on a fitted jag for removing lead/copper fouling. JB's bore paste will help to polish it in.

Lyman 429421 245 grain is my bullet of choice sized sized to 0.431 on top of BlueDot. I don't like the sharp recoil of full loads of fast powder like Unique.
    edited November -1
    Well, tomorrow will be my first outing with my Oregon Trail 200gr RNFP. 5.3GR 231. Should be 750-800fps. Going to take the chronograph so I'ok know.
  • 62fuelie62fuelie Member Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are using .44 Spl. cases be sure to clear any carbon build up in the chambers from the shorter case. Otherwise the .44 mags may be harder to load and extract.
    edited November -1
    Yep, I will. Thanks!