In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Reloading pay off? YES! Pics!

Shot two rifles at the range today. It was a bit windy, for the most part, blowing 10-15mph in my face. 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with open sights. Savage bull barrel, single shot, synthetic stock, and BSA 6-24x44 scope.

If care is taken, bulk military surplus FMJ bullets will group as well.

The Swede fodder for the day, Hornady A Max 140 grain bullets.

223 fodder - 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and 62 grain military surplus (some neck sized - the 200 yard group).

6.5x55 - I should have moved the rear site to the 350 yard mark.
65x55300yd140HORNAmax.jpg

200 yard with 62 grain FMJ - yep...upper left was all mine! argh!!!
2231146200yd62FMJ.jpg

Again, one upper left shot, I knew it as the bullet was in flight...my mistake. This is 40 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.
2231146300yd40NOSbt.jpg

Not bad for military surplus bullets. I labeled the target wrong, this target is 62 grain FMJ bullets.
223114662FMJ300yd.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rollnblockrollnblock Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DC what are you using pushing the 40 bt's. i tried some today and got a cloverleaf at 100 using benchmark. 1/2 grain from their top load. i was surprised that little 40 could fly like that.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    20.0 to 21.2 of Hodgdon 4198.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rollnblock,
    Almost forgot, pick up some Accurate 2230-C. So far, that has been THE most accurate powder in my rifle.

In the same note, it is sometimes surprising what bullets group like at 100, 200, & 300 yards. At 100 yards, the 40 BT's will provide a group of five that a dime will cover. The 62 gr FMJ's, well...let's just say about a half dollar (only, use a dollar bill and fold it in half..heheh). I have some 55 gr FMJ bullets that are ugly at 100 yards. 200, not bad. Have not tried them at 300 yards though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks for the info there DC. that was the first rounds i put through this gun. i junped 1/2 grain with each loading. now its to the tenths of grain i go. that was 26.8 benchmark. thanks again
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rollnblock,
    How are you working up your loads at the shooting bench?

JustC has mentioned several times....he uses a ladder. Email me if you want more info.

This REALLY helps in developing the sweet spot....and you can use a small amount of rounds to narrow the search.

With the 223, you might want to change to 0.2 grain changes per load. Larger cases can go larger jumps.

I had been loading five or ten rounds per load/bullet/primer combo...money was adding up quick.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    DC i usually take top load and go down 1/2 grain incriments to 10%. I usually load 4 rounds per. and usually a fouler. mostly shoot three shot groups, with an extra if i get a flyer.
    If you have a way to save money and time I'm all ears.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Check your email. Passed on the info that JustC provides on here.