In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Effectiveness of cast hollow points

Jeb StuartJeb Stuart Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
I've cast about 1000 or so .40 S&W 165gr. HP's but haven't had a chance to fire them yet. Does anyone have any opinions they would like to share concerning the effectiveness, i.e. stopping power, weight retention, etc, of such cast hollow points? Bullet weight, caliber, and velocity being equal; will they mushroom as well as a JHP? Once I fire some of these .40's I'll share how they held up if anyone is interested.

Comments

• Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If they are of semi-wadcutter design you will find that they are about the same performance wise as standard semi-wadcutters. If they are round nosed, they will be next to worthless for hunting. As for expansion, it won't happen unless they are soft, and bullets soft enough to expand can't be driven much over 1000FPS without excessive leading.
    This won't help you, but I discovered long ago that full wadcutters in the 38 special, especially the soft swaged ones, make devistating varmint bullets.
  • Options
    Jeb StuartJeb Stuart Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That makes sense. The lead I've been using if fairly soft (mostly wheel weights), so I might get some expansion, but also a lot of leading if I fire many at a time.
    And as for the .38, i have my dad's wadcutter and SWC bullet molds, too. He was using those for paper punching and varmint shooting long before I was born. So i realize the value of your last statement as well [:)]