In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

First reloading setup, do I have everytihng?

torquimatatorquimata Member Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
I am a single parent on an extremely tight budget and bought my son a Savage 243 sporter w/accutrigger and a Simmons 4-12 scope for Christmas. He's thrilled with his first "big gun". I went to the Midway site, as you all were very helpful to guide me to, and have budgeted a Lee anniversary kit, deluxe 3 die 243 set,100 Sierra blitzking 70 grain bullets and 100 Winchester brass. I can shop locally for powder and primers and will ask for advice on this forum for powder/primer combos with those 70 grain sierras.We're starting on woodchuck loads for spring and summer and will eventually buy 100 grainers for deer season.

My question is- Is there anything I've missed in the basic setup? The Lee kit seems to have everything but dies and components. Do I need to buy a factory crimp die, too? Or anything else? I dunno. Any thoughts are always appreciated as well as any advice to start both my son and I off making some decently accurate loads.I've reloaded revolver rounds in the past but it sounds, from what I've read on these forums, that rifle reloading needs to be much more precise. Thanks and Happy New Year

Comments

• Options
    B17-P51B17-P51 Member Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A case length gauge (caliper type), and a loading manual come to mind immediatly. It looks like the kit is pretty complete otherwise. A case trimmer will be needed down the road along with some other goodies. I hope this investment will pay for itself in shooting, as right now you are in the 200 to 225 $ range and we have yet to buy some components. This is about 15 boxes of ammo,at 15 $ per, give or take, thats 225 rounds. 1 $ each. Do you have a friend to instruct you? A lot of reloaders will lie and say they do it to save money, but there is always something that makes the job easier, faster or less tedious, not to mention accuracy tools and devices.Take it from one who is obsessed.I've hunted hogs in PA and that is about one short summers worth of shooting.
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    The case length gauge isn't needed yet, but a dial caliper works good. New win brass runs a little short, you will need something after 2 firings. The FCD is nice but not needed. A good manual is needed, I would buy the Lee first since it will help you understand his equipment.

As to powder, I would recomend Hodgdons Varget, it will work well with both 70 and 100 grain bullets.

For your $100 investment you are off to a good start.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    I would also recommend IMR4895 & IMR4064 for the 70 grain bullets.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Forgot...copy and past from IMR's site. Hodgdon's has reloading info as well.

70 GR. SPR HP IMR 4320 .243" 2.625" 38.5 3325 43,800 CUP 42.5 3541 50,300 CUP

70 GR. SPR HP IMR 4064 .243" 2.625" 38.5 3316 43,700 CUP 42.5 3541 50,000 CUP

70 GR. SPR HP IMR 4895 .243" 2.625" 38.5 3349 44,300 CUP 42.6 3558 50,000 CUP

70 GR. SPR HP IMR 3031 .243" 2.625" 35.5 3218 41,500 CUP 39.0 3485 51,100 CUP
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy some books, it's money well spent.
  • Options
    surbat6surbat6 Member Posts: 485 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave hit on the single most necessary reloading accessory...a reloading manual. Better yet, several reloading manuals.
    If you'd gotten the manual first, you'd probably have located a powder/bullet/case brand/primer combination that looks promising. That would give you a starting point as you develop loads suitable to whatever purpose you have in mind.
    When using the manual, don't substitute components (if the book says "Winchester cases", don't use Federal. If it specifies "Remington 9 1/2 primers", don't use Winchester 120's...etc.)
  • Options
    deadeye46deadeye46 Member Posts: 553 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    torq,there is no need to crimp ammo for the 243 that you have,although RCBS dies have a "built'in" (per instructions)crimper if you want to use it.The only ammo I crimp is pistol shells.Just a thought
  • Options
    DEG305DEG305 Member Posts: 469 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take it from a long time reloader-BUY SEVERAL MANUALS- READ THEM TWICE- NEVER RELOAD FROM MEMORY- START LOW THEN WORK UP- HAVE FUN- LET YOUR SON GET INVOLVED-[:)][:)]
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some great info here. Your reloading books don't have to break the bank. Hodgdon has their manual out for about $8.00 and as it has already been suggested Hodgdons Varget works very well with 70g bullets. Again as sugested I would say a set of dial calipers. Midway sells the Frankford Arsenal ones for about $20.00. I save money reloading because I load alot a whole lot. But it is also a great hobby in itself. Keep everything clean and organized and have fun![:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I forgot. DEG305 started to hit on it.

Buy a 3 ring binder, download some reload sheets, and keep ACCURATE records.

YOUR reload book with the handloading manuals and tools, will complete your reloading outfit.
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guys have you on the right track. One thing I would like to add is to make notes at the range as you shoot. Make them on the target and put the target in the 3 ring binder already suggested for the future. You would be surprised at how much info can be lost or get confused after you get home from the range. Keep the targets and info as to date, load, range conditions(temp., wind, etc.) and anything else that might have a bearing on the accuracy or lack thereof in your shooting or the load. Keep track of each shot where possible and where it hit as to the number of the shot in a string. Be honest with yourself and if you flinched or * the trigger, note that and what shot number it was and where did it go. The more you learn to document what you do the more proficient you will become in your reloading and shooting. Good luck, Jim
  • Options
    PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    These guys have you on the right track. One thing I would like to add is to make notes at the range as you shoot. Make them on the target and put the target in the 3 ring binder already suggested for the future. You would be surprised at how much info can be lost or get confused after you get home from the range. Keep the targets and info as to date, load, range conditions(temp., wind, etc.) and anything else that might have a bearing on the accuracy or lack thereof in your shooting or the load. Keep track of each shot where possible and where it hit as to the number of the shot in a string. Be honest with yourself and if you flinched or * the trigger, note that and what shot number it was and where did it go. The more you learn to document what you do the more proficient you will become in your reloading and shooting. Good luck, Jim