In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Temp sensitive powders.

sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
I guess I should post my own post instead of doing the thing of convenience and hijacking a thread (apologies).

I'm looking for your experience with different powders in different cases relating to how much change you go through during temp changes. If you don't have chronographic evidence please post your ballistic results, i.e., summertime shot 1" high as zeroed then wintrer time shot 1.5" low. That kind of thing. Thanks in Advance.

Comments

• Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    H414 in 7.62x54R shot 2" groups in 70 temps. At 10 in winter, primer went off, pushed the bullet into lands, but didn't light powder. tried 5 times and gave up on the load.
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In almost thirty years of handloading, I don't ever remember having a severe problem like the one discribed earlier. I have had trouble with velocity vs. pressure, and dropped such loads because I felt them unsatisfactory. For example, I used H-380 in a 22-250 and couldn't reach the 3800FPS mark as suggested. I have had more trouble with lot-to-lot variation in powder than I have ever had with temperature related phenomena.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a suggestion to help avoid these problems in some calibers. Hodgdon VARGET was made so that it wouldn't be temperature sensitive. Works well for me. [:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    BHAVIN,

Copy on the Varget for temps. I used a can of it with my .223 and some .308 but didn't feel results were good enough accuracy wise. I will give it another shot with the Ackley.
  • Options
    BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sandwarrior, I use Varget for 22-250 and for .243 with very good results. I use surplus powders for .223 and .308 so I haven't tried it for that. The only drawback that I have with Varget is that it doesn't meter as smoothly as I would like.
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Any of the Hodgdon "Extreme" Powder series is good for wide temp* variances as that is what it is designed for. H414 and H380 are both older design ball powders that are famous for pressure changes when the temp* changes. -- I'd agree with Studebaker Hawk on the lot to lot variances on powders (seen alot of that). -- I'm suprised sandwarrior didn't get good accuracy results with H-Varget in 223 & 308. I've had great results with it in both cartridges in more than one gun ( especially the 223 ). I guess that's why handloaders get grey......[:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Temblor,

Accuracy was good with the Varget, just not a whole lot better than 4895,so I saved the three bucks. I found a can of XMR2015 and have been using that with awesome results in the .223. I went back to RE15 for the .308. I will look into the extreme series too.