In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

best performance bullet @ 50 yards

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
What bullet type do you guys believe performs best at very short distances, on meduim size game?

Comments

• Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The short answer: -it all depends on the calibre/cartridge used. The famed old brush rounds are at their best with heavy round nosed bullets of conventional construction at moderate velocities. As for the more common high velocity numbers, nothing less then a premium bullet, like Nosler's partition, will do.
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Depends of the muzzle velocity.
  • Options
    joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    o.k. so let's say 20-50 yards with 2800fps to 3100fps in avg deer calibers. I often prepare for long shoots and often find myself taking very short shots, so let's hear it....
  • Options
    Ray BRay B Member Posts: 11,822
    edited November -1
    Impacts at upwards of 3000fps are generally more than the standard bullets are designed to operate, so the tougher bullets would be called for, such as the bonded cores, or it you don't mind having the front section blown-off, a Nosler Partition. Closer to 2800 will put you within the operating parameters of the more standard bullets and the component company product tht I prefer in this bracket is Speer Mag-Tip. For a factory bullet I prefer the old style Winchester Power Point and Silvertip, but I don't care for the Nosler lookalikes.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joes- Tell us what cartridge you plan to use and maybe we can be more specific.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    joes- Tell us what cartridge you plan to use and maybe we can be more specific.
  • Options
    roysclockgunroysclockgun Member Posts: 310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used 180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in my 30-06. I bought them simply because they were at under half price on a closeout sale. Took six whitetails, all under 75 yards and all anchored with the first shot. Loaded the 180gr bullets to 2750fps over a chrony at 10 yds from the muzzle. One doe was only 10 yds from my stand, when she slipped up on me. I held, as usual with 30-06, with a heart/lung shot and she went down. Only other bullet that I used in the 50 yard range that you asked about, was a 100gr Sierra SPBT, loaded to 2800fps, out of a .243Win. Also loaded for hunting in the woods, where close shots are the rule, I took only head and neck shots and dropped deer cleanly with that one. Did not like the .243Win for heart/lung shots on white tails.
  • Options
    tennbucktennbuck Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joes
    o.k. so let's say 20-50 yards with 2800fps to 3100fps in avg deer calibers. I often prepare for long shoots and often find myself taking very short shots, so let's hear it....

Winchester Supreme Fail Safe or Supreme AccuBond CT.
  • Options
    walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1