In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

winchester? is it over for them? what have you hea

joesjoes Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
I received this in news artical from Feild and stream Jan 18.

Winchester Woes
The end of an era in American gun manufacturing?

It may be the end of the line for the makers of the quintessential classic deer rifle and the gun that won the West, according to this Stanford Advocate article. U.S. Repeating Arms' announcement on Tuesday that it will close its Winchester firearm factory in New Haven, CT, has sparked an effort to find a buyer before the plant shuts down at the end of March. But if that effort fails, production could cease for nearly all commercially produced Winchester models, from the ever popular Model 70 (like the one in my gun cabinet) to the classic 94 and 1885. (Click here for the story)

Comments

• Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I talked to a gun dealer yesterday. He told me he was buying all the new 94's he could find as there will be no more made.
  • Options
    Studebaker HawkStudebaker Hawk Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am disgusted with Winchester management and the incompetence that lead to this textbook case of how not to conduct business. From what I gather, they plan to keep limited production of specific items while ditching all else. Shades of Colt, no? If it fails, and it's looking more likely it will, I hope that this time they are gone for good.
  • Options
    Bill CostikBill Costik Member Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to say it, but it does'nt really bother me that they are closing. Natural cycle of business. If it was the old Winchester of pre-64 days I'd be upset.
  • Options
    cajunmancajunman Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hate to hear that more workers might loose their jobs and I enjoy shooting my older Winchester rifles but they are not currently making anything that I can't live without. For a company like Winchester not to make a .22 rifle is a shame, they just stopped making the 9422.

I have a number of the limited edition rifles and they are all made in Japan. They fit and finish are excellant on all of these rifles. It is a shame that Winchester did not choose to make these in the USA.

I have ordered parts in the past and the customer service was the pits.